I-80

Help Support Steer Planet:

wra

We just had an I-80 bull calf out of a first calf heifer (hillbilly deluxe x 6807) came unassisted 75lbs. Should have pics in a week. Any one else have calves out of him?

mutt

We had 1 out of a first calf heifer by Heat wave x Maine 71 lbs. came unassisted. only thing it was 13 days over due. The only way I know it was a I-80 was the clean up bull was a pure Char. bull. Super hairy and clean fronted.

harleyhog

We just had twin I-80 bull calves out of a first calf purebreed maine-anjou heifer.  They weigh about 40 pounds and are two weeks early. We have been waiting for this day since we AI'd "Lilly" so needless to say we are so excited...

BlazinA

FYI- Our 2  I-80 calves have come about 5 days early. We checked calving records on these cows and both normally calve on expected due date.  One was a bull calf about 80#s out of an angus/maine cow and the other a heifer 68#s out of a who made who cow. 

justme

I know the calves are young but I have a question.  I liked this bull everything, but his head.  His head looked odd to me in the pictures.  Did he pass that on?

CAB

I didn't care for his head shape either. Kind of has that Roman bull nose look to him. I stopped in and saw him last weekend and what concerned me more now is how extremely strait he is on his back legs. JMO. He has gotten taller than I thought he would and still has that nice extention throught his front third.

CFC

I've not considered him to be that straight when I saw him as a calf.  The Miley cow is certainly not straight.  I have seens several of these calves already at in Indiana.  Most of them are about 70lbs. 

Oats

When I looked at him last week it took him  a couple of minutes to get up he just kept rocking back and forth. I finally got tired of waiting and looked at some other bulls and when I came back he was finally up. Way to straight. I hope everything turns out for the best with your calves.

cowman

Oats said:
When I looked at him last week it took him  a couple of minutes to get up he just kept rocking back and forth. I finally got tired of waiting and looked at some other bulls and when I came back he was finally up. Way to straight. I hope everything turns out for the best with your calves.

I got to see him 2 days, and after day 1 I would have tended to agree with you and CAB. He looked uncomfortable, stiff, and straight. The second day was after collection, and while I know your argument will be that angles don't change due to comfort level...but he looked considerably better after being collected and out of the pen to move around. My evaluation changed a bit; he's a calving ease deal, needs bone, etc., but he's not a structural wreck by any means. The confinement of these bulls can be a factor, and looking at overworked 2 year old bulls has made a fool out of many a good cattleman. To be clear I'm not calling anyone a fool, but at that age you can't always accurately evaluate clubby bulls, or any young bull that has seen heavy use.

olsun

A sound bull never looks too straight before or after being collected or exercised. A sound animal is always sound. JMO

BA Maines

We just got our first I-80 calf.  A nice bull calf weighing 75 pounds out of a first calf heifer (Wagonhammer Superman). calf is healthy and agressive with his meals.

WFCC

We had 3 i-80 calves. All under 70 lbs out of registered angus cows. He definately adds hair, bone, and a great front along with a good hind leg set. Luckily all 3 were heifers. Im real excited bout tbis bull and what he can do in the show heifer deal. I think this bull is going to take off and be the next big thing in the maines because of his moderate frame and style. Look for him to be used on heat wave cows or other carrier cows

DCC show cattle

so lautner just bought the not so well pictured I-80 from the breeder and made him look like a million bucks? i know a lot of people me included never would have thought about using I-80 due to his 3/4 picture he looks super flat and not correct but lautners photo makes him look awesome! I love the breeding on this bull and thought about him even with the bad pic but sure persuades me a lot more to use him with the better photo on the side profile.

cowman

DCC show cattle said:
so lautner just bought the not so well pictured I-80 from the breeder and made him look like a million bucks? i know a lot of people me included never would have thought about using I-80 due to his 3/4 picture he looks super flat and not correct but lautners photo makes him look awesome! I love the breeding on this bull and thought about him even with the bad pic but sure persuades me a lot more to use him with the better photo on the side profile.

You have it backwards. The "awesome" pic was done by the people who sold him for their sale. The 3/4 was done by Lautner.

Just to be clear you're basing the decision to use him vs. not use him on the differences in the 2 pictures?