I-80

Help Support Steer Planet:

Wildmustang777

Hey!! Just wondering.... has anyone ever bred I-80 to an American      heifer?? Looking to breed him to mine  :)

CRS

I have not, but one thing I will say is he is almost 11 and he is at Nichols right now being collected. Not too many bulls can do that.

jconner2088

What are you wanting out of the calf? WE usually go with a brangus or we have even started using Buford on our americans. have not seen very many I80 americans around, not sure they will keep the character.

Wildmustang777

Was gonna use buford on a second calf cow... But changed my mind bc she is so heavily Brahman influenced!! I don't want to add anymore Brahman influence to the calf than the mom has but I don't want to much.. She's a heifer so I was going with something calving ease!! I just bred her mom to MAB!!! 

jconner2088

Woodrow is a half blood so if worried about adding influence that more likley to add influence than say buford. Not saying i80 wouldnt work but just that if you were wanting to keep character i would go different route but just depends what your looking for from calf and where you live really

showqueen95

Woodrow isn’t a half blood but if you are worried about character he might not be your best option. I wouldn’t use I-80 either, if I have seen an I-80 American then it wasn’t good enough for me to recall. And if that mating worked then more people would use it.
I’d explore other options.

Wildmustang777

There is a American bull sale going on today at show circuit online sales!!! What about those bulls?

jconner2088

Never used them but know Lil Newt has put some in sale holes here in Texas and Thigpen does an awesome job raising american cattle here in Texas. I do not know about how they would do with heifers. I really would look into breeding either brangus or Buford. 

showqueen95

All of those bulls are good, but I don’t know if any of those are heifer safe besides woodrow. Do you have a picture of your american heifer? Kinda hard to give suggestions when we don’t know what she looks like and how much character she has.

jconner2088

Yea i wouldnt worry about getting to crazy with to much character she has just enough for me. She looks good. I wouldnt be afraid of using a brangus on her if you are wanting to stick with american.

Wildmustang777

Ok!! :)
The judges always comment on how feminine fronted she is for an American.... And her color  ;)

jconner2088

Never used him on americans so couldn't tell ya. but if your wanting to use on a heifer i would at least get to 2nd calve before using thriller. we have used him on cows and have had some really big ones and have had some small ones.