I can't stop checking out the PLANET!

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I must be tired yet! I attached the wrong picture to the last post. This picture is of 3 May /07 heifers on pasture. The roan heifer in the middle is sired by a bull who resulted from an embryo that was sent over sired by CF Varsity X ( BY CF Trump). She is pretty good.

justintime

This is a typical  British Blue X Maine cow that I saw in herds all over Scotland. ( The Blues are referred to as British Blue there rather than Belgian Blue). This cow had a great steer calf at side.

Attachments

• DSC00700s.JPG
    DSC00700s.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 274

justintime

This is a 3 year old female that would fit into many programs in N America. She has a heifer calf that is really sweet!

Attachments

• DSC00708s.JPG
    DSC00708s.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 267

justintime

This is  a 2 year old that came from an embryo I sent over. In all I saw about 20 offspring that resulted from embryos we have sent to Scotland but there are several more that I did not have time to see. This is a Byland Gold Spear out of our Elsies Jade donor. We are using a full brother as a herd sire here as well.

Attachments

• DSC00757s.JPG
    DSC00757s.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 268

justintime

This may well be the best BIG Shorthorn female I have ever seen! She weighs over 2300 lb and she is smooth as an apple, feminine fronted, Long as a wet week and has offspring to prove that she can produce. Her two year old son and a couple of daughters in  production are incredible... as is she herself!! If you don't believe cows this big have a place in the beef business, this cow and her offspring will make you stop and think for awhile!

Attachments

• DSC00812s.JPG
    DSC00812s.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 269

justintime

This is the prievious cows two year old son, shown here on pasture  in breeding condition. He weighed 2200 lb and is super thick, deep sided, loose hided, super sound structured, and as quiet as they come. This picture does not show his thickness very good but you could sleep on his back. He has a great disposition as well.

Attachments

• DSC00825s.JPG
    DSC00825s.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 255

justintime

These are two full sisters I saw in a herd in Northern Scotland. The smaller one is 15 months of age. The bigger cow is 5 years old.

Attachments

• DSC00835s.JPG
    DSC00835s.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 238

justintime

This cow was Champion at the Royal Highland show. She is a blend of Canadian and British bloodlines. I see 4 Canadian bulls in her pedigree fairly close up. A very nice female but a little finer made than some I saw in the country side.

Attachments

• DSC00619s.JPG
    DSC00619s.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 240

justintime

This bull was Champion Shorthorn bull at the Royal Highland show. They can show mature bulls over there so there gets to be some interesting classes. This guy weighed over 3000 lbs. The Champion Charolais female was 2670 lb and I was told that she would look small at the Royal show in England in a couple weeks.

Attachments

• DSC00636s.JPG
    DSC00636s.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 241

justintime

This is the herd bull I mentioned earlier that resulted from an embryo we sent over to Scotland. He is 4 years old and has been running on a large hill with the cows all winter ( I prefer to call it a small mountain!!)He is sired by Byland Sparkler and his dam is our Secret Maid donor that Twig Marston's daughter showed with success in the US a few years ago. This bull  has some muscle and he is siring some good calves.

Attachments

• DSC00605s.JPG
    DSC00605s.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 238

OH Breeder

justintime said:
This bull was Champion Shorthorn bull at the Royal Highland show. They can show mature bulls over there so there gets to be some interesting classes. This guy weighed over 3000 lbs. The Champion Charolais female was 2670 lb and I was told that she would look small at the Royal show in England in a couple weeks.
He looks like a moving van. WOW what a side he has. Nice depth of body. Great front.Thank you for the pictures.

justintime

The Highland show was one of the biggest shows at the Royal Highland show, and probably had one of the biggest crowds watching. If you saw some of the ground in the Highlands that cattle have to run on along with the sheep, you can understand why breeds like the Highland are there is sizable numbers. The Luing breed is also quite popular, and quite frankly, I saw some Luing cattle that I really really liked. The Luing Association is undertaking a major classification program in which they plan to score every female in the breed for udder quality and feet and legs on an annual basis.

Attachments

• DSC00663s.JPG
    DSC00663s.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 306

justintime

There is so much history in this country that a person could spend months and months just checking it out. Many of the pastures I was in, had ruins of buildings from over 1000 years ago_One farmer told me that he was having his fields tested for soil type by using satellite imagery and some kind of GPS system, and it showed evidence of a cropping system that dated to 500 AD... and the scientists said it was still very evident. Pictured is one of the homes I stayed in while in Scotland. This home was built in the 1700s on the estate. There were 19 bathrooms on the floor I stayed on. I think I probably walked by a few million in antique furniture and paintings. It now costs so much to heat this building that the owner has converted it to wood chips which are dumped by semi trailers into a large storage space below the slopping metal roof show beside the house.

This house may not look real exciting from the outside, but believe me, inside it was very impressive!!!

Attachments

• DSC00713s.JPG
    DSC00713s.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 305

Bawndoh

justintime said:

I really love the phenotype of this bull.  He is close to what I would consider the perfect "beef" bull.  I am just curious as to WHY their cattle have to be so large?  Do you think that 2600lb Champion Charolais cow weans off 60%+ of her bodyweight?

justintime

For you hunting enthusiasts, here is something you might consider---  The Scottish government has decreed that any person can have access to any land in the country. That means anyone can hike through your pastures or any of your land at any time. I think this is the law in all of Britain. Landowner rights are questionable to say the least. When it comes to hunting, the landowner can not stop anyone from hunting on their land, so they have made it into a business. The farmer can still charge a fee for any game shot on their land. For example, I asked one land owner what a pheasant of grouse shot would relate to in income to him. He said game birds usually are about 300 pounds ( $600 each) each and deer are about 1000 pounds ( $2000 each). Some farmers get more than this if the hunting is extra special. I saw many estates, especially in the highlands, that make all their income from hunting.... nothing else. Interesting concept.... feeding birds and deer instead of sheep and cows.

garybob

justintime said:
For you hunting enthusiasts, here is something you might consider---   The Scottish government has decreed that any person can have access to any land in the country. That means anyone can hike through your pastures or any of your land at any time. I think this is the law in all of Britain. Landowner rights are questionable to say the least. When it comes to hunting, the landowner can not stop anyone from hunting on their land, so they have made it into a business. The farmer can still charge a fee for any game shot on their land. For example, I asked one land owner what a pheasant of grouse shot would relate to in income to him. He said game birds usually are about 300 pounds ( $600 each) each and deer are about 1000 pounds ( $2000 each). Some farmers get more than this if the hunting is extra special. I saw many estates, especially in the highlands, that make all their income from hunting.... nothing else. Interesting concept.... feeding birds and deer instead of sheep and cows.
People in Southern Texas and Northern Mexico are doing the very same thing. The droughts have been so severe since the '80's, that the land around Eagle Pass and Piedras Negras wouldn't even run goats anymore. The perimeter fences are so tall, I laughed to myself about how hard it'd be to drive a Teepost through all those rocks.

GB