I freakin LOVE CIDRs

Help Support Steer Planet:

yuppiecowboy

I have used cidrs the last couple years with mixed results. Last year out of 30 put in I observed 14 heats and bred accordingly with a 60% conception.Not worth my time and money.

I decided to give it one more chance, as I cant feasibly heat detect and AI everyday for a month.

This year I put in 27 and had 25 hot hot hot heats all at the same time. Guy who AIs for me said they all felt perfect.

I wonder why I would have them work so well one year and not another. Anyone else have mixed results?

TJ

When you pull the Cidr's give them a shot of PG (I prefer Estrumate).  This will really tighten up the group.

DL

There are lots of different protocols you can use with CIDRs - my favorite is the CO -snch + CIDR which basically is day 0 CIDR & GNRH
day 7 pull CIDR give lutalyse
66 hours later (for cows) 54 hours later (for heifers) - time breed and repeat GNRH

I also put on estrus alert patches or chalk tails and heat detect - sometime they don't read the book.

You do as TJ says really need to give the prostaglandin (lutalyse) if you are using CIDRs

Hope the fertility fairy lands on all your cows, dl

red

(welcome)  YuppieCowboy!

That is probalby the most exciting topic headline for a long time!
Great to have you aboard!

Red

yuppiecowboy

Dragon Lady I did that exact protocol, except instead of timed AI I bred on observed heats. Just got lucky and everyone was ready to go at hour 55!

Of course I should quit my crowing until I know how many stuck. synchin em up is fine and dandy but Knocked up is the key here.