I hate age verification

Help Support Steer Planet:

TPX

Up here in Canada we have RFID tags and you have the chose to age verify your calves on the internet.  I use to be a really behind this b/c it was suppose to help get our cattle into extra markets over seas.  I still think that the RFID tags are a good thing just for the sake of point of orgin tracing when it comes to tracking disease.  Lately we have had alot of trouble age verifing calves b/c the damn website is so complicated and it just seems like there are way to many steps and pages to load for something that should be easy to do, I always thought that it would change when it first started and the would make improvments but I still find it vey diffucult.  We also had tags that we bought get transfered to the someone else b/c someone punched in the wrong number somewhere and after that happened you should try and get them tags back under the right name.  If you listen to the packers the say that age verfication is more of  headache then a help and they reccomend that we go to more of a american system where we verify age by the jaw bone on the kill floor and I think this is the way to go since our way hasnt put us into and more markets then the americans and all its doing it costing all of us extra money.

Bawndoh

I know cows and bulls were getting premiums for being age verified in my area.  However, I dont think calves are.  No doubt, age verified cattle should get $0.10/lb more!  All the hastle everyone has to go through just to get them verified, plus the fact that they ARE verified!  However, it seems it has just been a marketing scheme that has not followed through on the producers end....as usual!

chambero

We do the age verification on our cattle that go to the feedlot.