I hate SKUNKS!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

Just a little funny from last night

My girlfriend and I were out with the dogs looking at some cows that were getting ready to calve.  Then all of a sudden we smelled the worst thing ever a skunk had just gotten one of the dogs and it was CLOSE.  It then drifted right over to us and proceded to cover us in scent.  I think that I can still smell it.  It was all over the dog who is used to being an inside dog.  We have now proceded to declare JIHAD on all skunks!!!! 

justme

My 3 corgis have had 3 run ins so far with skunks....I absolutely hate them varmits!

kanshow

What is it with corgis & skunks..  My parent's corgi had a close encounter (but not THAT close) with one recently.  If  I had to guess, I'd say that there was probably a corgi involved in Davis's incident!

Davis Shorthorns

kanshow said:
What is it with corgis & skunks..  My parent's corgi had a close encounter (but not THAT close) with one recently.   If  I had to guess, I'd say that there was probably a corgi involved in Davis's incident!

No, suprisingly it wasn't Luke, it was my lab Suzy and the roomates dog Coda.  I think that the corgi was to short and it just shot right over his head ;D

LN

I hate rattlesnakes more! I had a 4 1/2 ft on the front porch last week :eek:

LFI

My heeler likes to tangle with them when I irrigate, then he has to ride home on the four wheeler with me - nasty!

kanshow

When we used to flood irrigate, we'd find skunks in the pipe that was piled up.  That was always a joy.    When you felt something scurrying in the pipe, you'd better hope you were the tallest or the first to drop your end.

chambero

We have a BUNCH of barn cats.  They go through about 50 pounds of cat food a week when we remember to feed them.  Back in September, we were down at the barn pulling a calf from a heifer.  My father-in-law was sitting over in a chair watching us.  He had just gotten through pouring out cat food and started laughing.  Hey - we got an extra cat.  I looked over and there's a skunk crowded in with the cats around their tub eating.  A buddy that was helping me pull asked what are we gonna do.  We replied - not a darned thing.  Just hope the cats and skunk continue to get along.  Trying to pull a calf while getting sprayed by a skunk would have added a whole new level of chaos to the process.  All worked out fine.  Still got the cats.  Still got the skunk.  Never caught him out where I could shoot him. YET.

kanshow

(clapping)  Gotta love those striped barn cats!!

I started my bottle calves on grain almost immediatly and last week I was bragging to my husband about how good they were eating.  They were cleaning up.  Then Sunday morning I walked out & found the dog playing with a dead possum right in front of my calf shed.  They aren't eating nearly as much now.   

doubled

LN said:
I hate rattlesnakes more! I had a 4 1/2 ft on the front porch last week :eek:

OMG  I HATE snakes, Ill drive all the way across the yard on our lawnmower just to murder one of those things, I totally ruined my husbands best shovel one year smashing one to bits on the cement

jbh

chambero said:
We have a BUNCH of barn cats.  They go through about 50 pounds of cat food a week when we remember to feed them.  Back in September, we were down at the barn pulling a calf from a heifer.  My father-in-law was sitting over in a chair watching us.  He had just gotten through pouring out cat food and started laughing.  Hey - we got an extra cat.  I looked over and there's a skunk crowded in with the cats around their tub eating.  A buddy that was helping me pull asked what are we gonna do.  We replied - not a darned thing.  Just hope the cats and skunk continue to get along.  Trying to pull a calf while getting sprayed by a skunk would have added a whole new level of chaos to the process.  All worked out fine.  Still got the cats.  Still got the skunk.  Never caught him out where I could shoot him. YET.

I have a built up, bridge plank floor in a small part of my calving barn on a farm I purchased a few years ago.  EVERY night, with very few exceptions, there's a skunk under this floor that sprays and I have to walk through it to check cows, and of course it will stick to you like cologne. I've tried trapping....dumping clorox down the hole...and everything else I could think of, BUT, every year they show up.  One night I walked in and flipped on the light switch to find 2 skunks and 2 coons.....got 3 out of the 4 with my .22 and felt like RAMBO!

Tonite I  rounded the corner of the garage attached to our back door at the house and.......there stood a skunk eating our cat food.  I'm glad to hear it's just not me.

Dusty

Just FYI.  If you pick a skunk up by the tail they can't spray...  What you do with it once you have it is up to you...

shortyjock89

Dusty said:
Just FYI.  If you pick a skunk up by the tail they can't spray...  What you do with it once you have it is up to you...

I would hope whoever was with me was a damn good shot.  Or I'd give that skunk a REAL good toss.

ROAD WARRIOR

An old man that used to live just up the road from me would kill skunks with a pitch fork, never got sprayed that I ever heard of. RW

shortyjock89

ROAD WARRIOR said:
An old man that used to live just up the road from me would kill skunks with a pitch fork, never got sprayed that I ever heard of. RW

He must be REAL sneaksy. I kill possums with pitchforks, haven't been brave enough to try it on a skunk yet.

muleman

Believe it or not. I have a critter business where I live trap coons, skunks and squirrels. I charge $70 a Skunk, It it unbelieveable what I make a year from skunks. I live in a country club area and people are afraid of them. It really helps supplement or pays for my feed each year.

ROAD WARRIOR

During the Depression my grand father would dig entire litters of skunks out of their burrows and raise them in a chicken house until their fur was prime. At that time a skunk hide was worth $3.00 and a fox hide was worth 50 cents. It worked really good until he caught a possum and threw it in the shed with about 40 young skunks, grandma said that the shed almost exploded.RW

shortyjock89

How many times out of ten do you get sprayed, would you say?  I'm not afraid of them, but I know it'd be hard to get close to the little lady smellin like one of those buggers.