I need a realy nice show steer for 2009 show season.

Help Support Steer Planet:

CM Cattle

I need a realy nice show steer for 2009 show season. I would like for it to have atleast a 1350 finishing weight, and be finished by the end of augest. I am willing to pay a reasonable price. I am located in KY, and I would like something close. If you have any thing I might be interested in please feel free to send pictures, and  messege me. Thanks!!!

shortyjock89

What do you call a "very high finishing weight", and when does he need to be finished?

shortyjock89

Oh my....I've never had a steer finish anywhere close to 1600 lbs...my mature cows would have a hard time weighing that much heavy-bred.  Good luck though, but I just gotta say that most "good" steers won't look very good at 1600 lbs.

shortyjock89

12-1300 lbs, usually at 13 months.  We did have a steer that weighed 1425 at 13 months, but he was WAY too big I thought.

CM Cattle

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
12-1300 lbs, usually at 13 months.  We did have a steer that weighed 1425 at 13 months, but he was WAY too big I thought.
Usualy my show steers weigh at least 1400 at 13 months, this will be my last lear showing so i wanted a realy nice steer.

shortyjock89

That's cool, I have a little smaller framed cattle than some.  I don't blame you for wanting a really good one, but the good one's here (in IL) finish at 1300-ish.  Where are you located at?

CM Cattle

That's cool, I have a little smaller framed cattle than some.  I don't blame you for wanting a really good one, but the good one's here (in IL) finish at 1300-ish.  Where are you located at?
I am located in KY, and all of our local 4-h steers are atleast 1400 by sale day.

shortdawg

I have a Vanilla Ice calf out of a Reg. Angus cow that I think will finnish in the 1300 range. Fact is me and a friend of mine were just talking about him tonight being a better big steer than some others we have. He was born the first week in Sept. I don't have pics yet but he is a really cool chocolate color with lots of bone and hair. I'm in South GA.

Jill

He is wanting a 1400 pounder by August, I don't think a Sept. calf is going to make that.

showsteerdlux

I hate to say it but I really don't think ideal is anything over 1350. When you are thinking about ideal this is usually related to carcass and the ultimate goal with carcass is a calf which is finished perfectly and still is heavily muscled. Sorry but I really can't see the justification of getting a calf that big. The biggest I have ever gotten a steer was 1534 and he was wayyyy to big and I even admit that. One thing you have to look at is that when you are getting a calf that big is that you are probably going to be pouring so much feed into the thing that there is not way that you can come out because after a certain point the cost per pound of gain is out the roof. Sorry if that sounds hateful, but if it was me, I would be looking for a good calf that will finish around 1290-1320 and is going to be good instead of just really fat.

renegade

Around here they wont look at a calf that is over 1350ish for grand/reserve but about three years ago thats what won here

CM Cattle

renegade said:
Around here they wont look at a calf that is over 1350ish for grand/reserve but about three years ago thats what won here
Well
one of my friends steers last year was 1500, and he was grand champ 3/6 shows.

CM Cattle

zach said:
we used to have a family at our fair that would bring 1600 pounders every year, monsters
That is what me and my sis like to show, people say that ant what I need but that is what everbody around here wants.

shortyjock89

No offense, and I'm not saying that all show steers are "real world", but if a whole county wants 1600 lb steers, I would say you might want to take a look at what the industry's ideals are as far as carcass weight and size.

CM Cattle

No offense, and I'm not saying that all show steers are "real world", but if a whole county wants 1600 lb steers, I would say you might want to take a look at what the industry's ideals are as far as carcass weight and size.
Idk what the industry's ideals are as far as carcass weight and size are, at our livestock sale it dont matter the industrys ideals, they will bring more the heaver they are. On any other ocasion I would agree with you.

renegade

Oh sorry, I wasnt trying to upset or anything. I was just saying what is common here - and the middle range calves bring the most around here too. A few years back large was common. Typically we would get a fee over 1500 cause they had trouble with getting butchered. Sorry I offended you - totally meant nothing by it  :)

shortdawg

Jill, Thanks for the clarification that my calf wouldn't reach that weight ! I thought maybe since there's 1500 other members on the board someone else might be interested if he wasn't. He will be around 17 months before he reaches that weight. Just answered a PM about him a few minutes ago.

4G Ranch

We have some AI sired calves (Sun Seeker, Kojack) and calves out of our herd bull for sale, these are some of nicest calves we have had. There are a few that will be weighing 1300 to 1400 by state fair. We are located in KY. If you would like to come and look email me at [email protected].