I need some help

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmerboy317

I was wondering what bull i could use on a heifer for her first calve, but has a smaller frame what you be a good bull to use and not have to pay a lot for semen and the heifer is a maine x simmi x angus 50% miane 25% simmi and 25% angus

shortyjock89

Northern Improvement, Lut, OCC Anchor...good Angus bulls.

Gigolo Joe and Money Man are always good choices on Maine-cross heifers.

farmerboy317

i know that when a heifer is in heat she usually doesn't eat but how else do i know that. besides if she is jumped

McHale75

I would recommend Major's Money Man.  I used him on an Ali heifer and the bull calf was low birth weight and now he is thick and moderate and growing well. 

dori36

farmerboy317 said:
I was wondering what bull i could use on a heifer for her first calve, but has a smaller frame what you be a good bull to use and not have to pay a lot for semen and the heifer is a maine x simmi x angus 50% miane 25% simmi and 25% angus

.....and of course I can't hold back any longer:  Lowline, lowline, lowline!!!  (clapping)

TJ

I will second the "Lowline, lowline, lowline!"  You can register, show & sell the calf (regardless of what sex it is) as  a Lowline.   Now, if you like going out every 2 hours checking your heifers, pulling calves, losing sleep & getting stressed out during calving season, then Lowlines aren't for you.  But, if you like small, thick, sound, easy doing, hairy calves with eye appeal, that slip right out, then Lowlines would be for you.       

FWIW, Anchor isn't that much bigger than my bull, Doc Holliday, and I'll guarantee that Doc is an easier calver than any of the bulls mentioned.   

Doc is only $20 per straw.  But, I also have Roulette semen.  Roulette sires clean fronted calves & it is priced at $15 per straw.  Below is Roulette pictured at somewhere around 2 years.   I really think that he could work well in the clubby market.  Also, below the Roulette picture is a butt shot picture of a Red 1/2 blood Lowline bull calf that I will be collecting in the spring.  Actually, I will be adding several really nice Lowline bulls to my AI lineup this spring.   

Attachments

• Roulette.jpg
    Roulette.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 263
  • redbullIII.JPG
    redbullIII.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 249

TJ

I failed to mention...  we are currently sold out of Doc semen, but should have more shortly, although some of that is already spoken for.  But, I've got plenty of Roulette semen.   

LazyGLowlines

One more vote for Lowlines! We also have semen available and think this is the only way to go! We have a special deal for all you clubby people! Send us a PM for pricing!

Attachments

• bluey at work 6-3-08.JPG
    bluey at work 6-3-08.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 244
  • bluey 6-3-08.JPG
    bluey 6-3-08.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 235

TJ

LazyGLowlines said:
One more vote for Lowlines! We also have semen available and think this is the only way to go! We have a special deal for all you clubby people! Send us a PM for pricing!

Do I qualify for the special deal?   

LazyGLowlines

Sorry for the late response...we're on our way to the NILE so haven't been on the computer.  I'm sure we could work something out with you!