I will do it too...opinions please

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

This is a heifer i bought this summer, she goes back to some of Malinda Well's first shorthorn genetics. Opinions please. I know its not the best pic and she just cam out of the shwring and a\was pretty ansy so my girlfriend could not get her to drop her loin while i took the picture, all of you know how that is. (Malinda...if you read this i tried to email you but kept getting sent back, did you change your email?)

ShowmanQ

I believe that one was taken on the 13th, although she was at both shows.

OH Breeder

What is the age of the heifer? Would like to see her from the front and back. See what you mean try to get her set so she levels out over her hips.  Can' t see her shoulder welll, looks like it might be a bit bold. Hairy booger.

ShowmanQ

Shw is a february calf...still very green but that seems to be the case with a lot of calves out of WHR ROMEO. She is a Romeo out of a cow falling back to the red wing cow family that Malinda Wells now owns parts of.

Jill

She needs her hooves trimmed, that would help some with getting her foot placed better.

OH Breeder

I agree with Jill a little off the hooves wouldn't hurt a bit. It might bring her up a bit.
Also, did you clip her or someone else? Is this a picture at a show? There is a reason I am asking. ;)

ShowmanQ

OH Breeder,
I agree 100% on the hoof trimming thing, She has never had her feet trimmed and I pirchased her later in the summer than i normally do so i did not have a chance to get her feet trimmed before our fair. Yes this picture was taken at a show. Yes I clipped her, however i wish i would have had a little more time to get her fine tuned a little more, why do you ask?

OH Breeder

ShowmanQ said:
OH Breeder,
I agree 100% on the hoof trimming thing, She has never had her feet trimmed and I pirchased her later in the summer than i normally do so i did not have a chance to get her feet trimmed before our fair. Yes this picture was taken at a show. Yes I clipped her, however i wish i would have had a little more time to get her fine tuned a little more, why do you ask?

I will send you an email.
OH B

TJ

Pretty nice calf & you are doing a nice job with it.  I agree about the hoof trim.  BTW, I am pretty sure that I am thinking along the same lines as OH Breeder.  He's a very knowledgable person & he will give you some good advice.

ShowmanQ

TJ said:
Pretty nice calf & you are doing a nice job with it.  I agree about the hoof trim.  BTW, I am pretty sure that I am thinking along the same lines as OH Breeder.  He's a very knowledgable person & he will give you some good advice.

She is a purebred shorthorn.

AAOK

As I try to see beyond the way she is set up, the clip job, and hooves, I think she is a pretty nice heifer.  I would like to see her with a little more length.  I like her extension in front, and I think her shoulders down into her from legs carry a good line.  I believe that if her neck,dewlap and brisket were clipped properly and blended into her shoulders, she would be pretty salty up front.  I think the same can be said for her topline.  Clipping her down the top where she needs to be would sure give her some femininity.  I can tell there is just too much hair there.  I'm not fond of her underline, but can also see there is enough hair to straighten it to a more level line.  For a Feb. calf, I would say she needs about another 100 pounds.  Nice Heifer.