Ia State Fair Sale of Champs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Dusty

Maine106,

Don't take anything she say's personally or seriously....

I would be interested to know the incident she is talking about too..  Or maybe even the year it happened????  Or is she just making it up?????

Show Heifer

Some of the records that were set were for the Champion Chickens...I have NEVER heard of them being tainted, have you???
And I think that is a cool project, everyone starting with the same hatch, same genetics and then lets the exhibitor work their magic...THAT is a project!! I believe the other record was reserve pig.....a very popular family with lots of support!

No Dusty, I am not "making it up" .  Sorry to admit, I know people way over my head and for some reason, they like me. So therefore, while we are chatting I get told info that maybe the public are not aware of. And why not take me seriously?? Why would anyone take someone like you, who admits that cheating is ok, seriously???? Lost me there.

And maine106, no attitude intended....I am just not going to share info I was told out of friendship and not for public disclosure of details....if I get an all clear from the "source" I will share, if not you are SOL. So you and dusty and fluffy can just lay awake at night and wonder ;D

Jill

Show Heifer said:
So you and dusty and fluffy can just lay awake at night and wonder ;D

Kind of reminds you of the "I have the best bull in the world, but I can't tell you who he is or where he's located" kinda makes you go hmmmmmmm!

tucker

show hfr. your post seem to always be intended to stir up trouble- i hope iam wrong  but your past comments  and post bother me.please be sensitive to what u say  and treat others as u wish to be treated.

Jill

Show Heifer said:
Some of the records that were set were for the Champion Chickens...I have NEVER heard of them being tainted, have you???
And I think that is a cool project, everyone starting with the same hatch, same genetics and then lets the exhibitor work their magic...THAT is a project!!

I've thought about this one and just can't let it go. 
We did a broiler pen so I am speaking from experience, how on earth can you compare THAT to a steer project.  The calves we are showing we have had for 16 months, they have chores everyday and most days they are rinsed and walked, are there tainted ones that show up once in a blue moon, yes, are there cripples also yes.  The chicken project takes a whopping total of 8 weeks, we got in 12 chicks and total they ate 2 bags of feed, they have a light on and eat around the clock, you go in twice and day to refill feed and water and that is the sum total of the work in this project, are there tainted chickens, can't answer that, are there cripples 80% of the chicks by 8-9 weeks can't walk across the yard, there is no magic it is simply survival of the fittest, compared to cattle, THAT is NOT a project.

chambero

But those "extra" chickens sure are good to eat!  We did it once with chickens and turkeys at the same time.  I don't even really remember how we did showing them, but the left overs were the best eating birds anyone in my whole family ever had.  I remember we had to cut the turkeys in half because they woudln't fit in the oven.  And it was a true learning experience having to be taught how to kill and clean them.  There aren't many people left that really know how any more.

Do they test chickens?  I bet not.  Maybe chicken feeders just haven't been caught yet.  Although I'd love to watch them trying to hold those little cups under a chickens hiney.

linnettejane

hmmm...in wv there are no fowl allowed to be showed at any fairs...its been that way for a couple years now...

Show Heifer

Jill, kinda agree with you on the time limit....but it is amazing how much difference there are in the final chickens when everyone started with the exact same hatch. I guess that makes it a measure of the kids or families work instead of who had the most money or who STARTED with the best calf.

Also, I talked to one of the winners....she really did a lot of work and washed her birds!! Can you imagine washing a chicken!! Talk about looking like a drowned rat!!!

shortyjock89

You know, it's probably not always the case, but it seems like sometimes kids get picked on because they START with the best calf.  It's not their fault if their family can buy or raise a good calf, and around here the best ones are usually home grown.  Seems anti-productive to pick on kids for having success. Talk about a ribbon for everyone.

Jill

I tell you what, if you ever wanted a lesson in what you were eating, that is the project to do, those chickens are gross! JMO

maine106

Lol Jill I was thinking the same thing about the best bull thing and especially the chicken for crying out loud!!

And to Olson Family I agree.  I have been on both sides of that fence.  Growing up I did not start out with an expensive calf or good equipment.  When I was done showing I was able to help a family that was able and wanted to provide this for their kids.  I've seen far more ugliness from those that do not have than those that do!  A 10 year old little girl over the moon about winning a show ending up in tears because she does not understand why people are making nasty comments to her about being spoiled etc. does not bring out my warm fuzzy side.  

Since when did starting out with the best equal success?  If that were true there are some high dollar show cattle that did not get this message.  It still takes hard work to get it done.  Washing a chicken is just not on the same level as all of the work we know goes into that steer or heifer.  

As for the original topic Show Heifer I will try this one more time.  How did we go from a big issue with lots of publicity to one that was discussed privately with a friend?  I lived in Iowa for 8 years and none of this rings a bell.  I know there are a few Iowans on here so I hope they can chime in with actual facts.  

harley

Just wanted to say that the chicken deal isn't as "clean" as one would think. I have no idea if they are tested, but I know of one family in our county that was going to try feeding their chickens paylean one year.  I have no idea if they did it or not, I just know the comment was made that they were going to try it.  I was also told by a VERY knowledgeable chicken person that the wing bands can be switched, so it would be possible to remove them from the chicks shipped to you for the contest to older chicks.  I can also tell you that a chicken project is ALOT more than feeding and watering twice a day and keeping a light on 24 hrs a day.  That kind of management will get you decent chickens, but it won't get you in the winners circle.

inthebarnagain

maine106 said:
As for the original topic Show Heifer I will try this one more time.  How did we go from a big issue with lots of publicity to one that was discussed privately with a friend?  I lived in Iowa for 8 years and none of this rings a bell.  I know there are a few Iowans on here so I hope they can chime in with actual facts. 

And if it was such a secret that you can't elaborate, why bring it up to begin with??

fluffer

Show Heifer said:
So you and dusty and fluffy can just lay awake at night and wonder ;D

:'( its Fluffer, not fluffy  :'(  (lol)  And don't worry, I won't be laying awake at night worring about it.  Honestly I don't care!  I quit showing  4 years ago because I got tired of all the drama and cheeting and decided I wanted to focus on profitable sound carcass animals and not worry about hair and front ends.  We will get back into it when the kiddo is old enough to show.  I guess I was more in wonder why something would be brought up that was a secrete.  But you know what, its a free country and anyone can post whatever they want  ;)  Have a good day all!

Fluffer

Dusty

Chambero,

You hit the nail on the head.  Winning is not the point of showing livestock, WANTING to Win is the point.  You show me someone that does not care if they win or not and I'll show you a LOSER!!!!  By showing livestock competitively we teach our children to be competitive, resourceful and to work hard.  If you look at the familes that are consistantly successful showing livestock, a majority of the time those same people are very successful in the other areas of their life also.  They have good jobs and successful businesses because they are competitive, smart and know how to get things done, whether they are at work or at the showbarn.  

I have a lot more respect for someone that finds a good calf, gets the right feed into it and gets it fit right(even if they have to hire it done) than I do someone that pulls a calf out of the feedlot, breaks it two weeks before fair, does a 20 min half-assed clip job and the drags it through the ring to just go through the motions and then get their premium check.

Jill

chambero said:
"Buyers" that purchase animals at youth auctions are looking for an excuse to dress up, show off their trophy wives (at least plenty often down here), and get their tax deduction.  All of which we are more than happy to let them do.   Our shows do a good job of making the experience fun for them to spend their money.  And many, many are spending lots of excess money they made - most of which was by means that didn't exactly follow the straight and narrow conservative line in whatever their business is.  They have way more to worry about than care about what that calf might or might not have been fed. At least in our part of the world.  Especially since they never see the animal or its meat after their picture is taken with it. 

Does anyone think construction contractors (a common type of buyer down here) don't do everything in their power to push certain limits (labor and immigration laws, contract requirements [read change orders for those of you familiar with the business], etc.).  We love to make fun of lawyers because they figure out how to take money from someone else for their clients and themselves.  I doubt there has anyone that ever lost a lawsuit that didn't think they were fleeced.  You could argue whether its good or bad, but this country works (and we are way more honest than other) by pushing limits in any kind of business or competition (which business is).  These people that are smart enough to have made that much money know full well that these beautiful, champion show animals aren't coming from poor kids that bought a calf from the sale barn.

Wow, I usually agree with much of what you write, but this is both disrespectful and offensive!

simtal

I agree with chambero.  I don't understand why people get upset for using hired fitters or having the resources to buy a good calf?

I grew up with nothing and plan to have a job that will allow me to get whatever I want in the show deal.

Isn't that the American Dream?

This leveling playing field crap is for commies.

Latest posts