IA state fair

Help Support Steer Planet:

ruhtram

What were some other good steers that didn't make the cut? That 2nd Div was sure tough. Hope they stay away from Omaha!

sam1988

I hear there are lots of $25-50,000 steers left for Omaha.  There was a couple of classes with serveral in that range that go left standing.  I saw the high one at rogers ended up 5th in class. I wish Illinois could show there, cause there is a few good ones left there as well.

iowabeef

Well, he didn't "upset the applecart" and picked the money people calves so I am sure he will be back......

mooch

iowabeef said:
Well, he didn't "upset the applecart" and picked the money people calves so I am sure he will be back......
Dang beat me to it. ;)

iowabeef

Aksarben is the show and it is Sept. 23-26.  It is open to 4-Hers in the states that surround Nebraska...Info at aksarben.org

sam1988

who is judging steers and females at Aksarben?  who will be competitive?

iowabeef

Breeding Beef is Jeff Mafi from Stillwater, OK.  Can't find the Market judge on their website...

ruhtram

I liked the div 2. class 2 steer winner at ISF. Didn't walk free as Faber's but could of won easily IMO. I also liked the Class 4 winner in that div. Not sure on the names of the kids

meat

You thought Faber's steer moved well? I suggest you watch the video on IPTV. He puts on a good look when he is stopped, but on the move those back two feet don't work very well. His pasterns snapped on every step he took.

iowabeef

Division II Class 2 was won by Tanner Stutsman followed by Holly England and Christian Swiler-all three nice calves
Division II Class 4 was won by Nathan Novak followed by April Shields....I didn't feel these cattle were as strong as Class 2 and obviously class 3 Where both Faber's and Jorgensen's came from
One really great looking one was Division III Class 2 shown by Rebecca Freeman....stout square and powerful.
Not sure which if any will be going to Aksarben

ruhtram

meat said:
You thought Faber's steer moved well? I suggest you watch the video on IPTV. He puts on a good look when he is stopped, but on the move those back two feet don't work very well. His pasterns snapped on every step he took.

Just thought Faber's steer was a little more free compared to the class 2 winner(stutsmans). I also notice fabers had a narrow walk compared to the other steers in Div 2..Overall I thought stutsman's steer would of been a good pick for reserve.

Not sure how much money these family's have into their steers; but, with ak-sar-ben's cap limit I could see some of these high dollar steers heading to KC.

showgoer

10K is a lot more than they'll get at the sale barn for those stale state fair losers.