ice storm of 12/10/07 and beyond

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

OK I sit here Monday evening (6:40p.m.) waiting for the ice storm.  I'm in NW Missouri.  As I look at the weather map, it looks like our Kansas friends are getting pelted with it.  How bad is it guys?? Jill do you have any yet?  Let's keep each other updated.  One way to kill storm bordeom. 

We got the show heifers snuggled in the barn along with the corgis!  Cross your fingers guys...sounds like were in for one heck of an evening/morning. :'(

renegade

This morning the ice was BBBBBAAAADDDDD. it started at 6:40 and was pure ice by 7:00. It kept coming down until after 9 and we had school. Apperently they have to make a decision b4 6:30 or we have to go to school. No one was on time to school and the freeway was shut down.

Cowboy

Started sprinking some here at about 5 PM, now at 8-10 -- it is a light rain, steady but light. The kind that doesn't melt anything, but freezes almost as soon as it hits. Currently 29 degrees -- REMEMBER last Dec 23?????

Our yard looked like you logged it after that one -- this may be even worse, have 4-6 inches snowon the ground, stays cold and this is setting up to be bad!

Was getting slippery already when we came in from chores just before dark.

Good luck every one from eastern Colo and on EAST, we have a fireplace in case the power goes out -- but that only heats within 10 feet -- hehehehehe!!! Snuggle up guys!

PS -- this is "NO" excuse for a 2008 baby boom!

Terry

SKF

I don't wish an ice storm on anyone. I can't even imagine the weather being that cold. I hope everyone stays warm and safe, but can you PLEASE send some of your cold weather my way!! I would love for it to feel like December. I am in South Florida where its 85 out.

justme

OK your bragging about your weather!  I'd kill for that temp.  Its 9:25p.m. Eric just brought in Danielle's show heifer.  She's snug as a bug in a rug. At least she isn't in my basement.  The freezing rain has just started.

LOL Cowboy and his babyboom! (clapping)  Here's to wishing I had some of Red's goodies, Cowz donuts, and common senses coffee to make it thru the storm!

renegade

I think i would kill for 85 right now!!!! I just had to carry six 5 gallon buckets of water to the new steers because someone didnt drain the water from the hoses the last time they watered so they were frozen solid  :mad:. Luckly the only other animals that needed water out side were the front horses, so i could use the short unfrozen hose.

Doc

Wonder how this will affect the 3 sales in western OK this weekend? 
25 miles north of Nashville,TN we're going to hit a record of 75 today, then be 45 tomorrow(with rain). Can we say sick calves.

red

We're supposed to get to 55 today w/ lots of rain. We haven't come close to the high's lately here. Terrible fog but I'll take that over ice any day.

Keep those corgi's & heifers warm! Cowboy, we can all smile when we see a kid born next September!

Red

itk

PS -- this is "NO" excuse for a 2008 baby boom!

We are getting rain right now and are just a few degrees above freezing so I'm sure the ice is coming (it seems to be every where else in KS). As far as baby booms go my wife's birthday is October 1 and my daughter's birthday is September 26. Needless to say I'm not letting my daughter go out on New Years Eve until she is 40.

Rocky Hill Simmental

No ice in SE Missouri... only rain. It's been in the mid-40s since last week with a lot of rain. I think we've got over 4 inches now because once when I emptied the rain gauge it had an inch, then another 1 inch, then most recently, 2 inches. Lots of mud!

I think the sky is making up for the lack of rain in summer here.

Will

I heard on the radio that here in Oklahoma their are over 500,000 without power.  Their are less than 3 million in the state.  We have been very lucky so far with only rain.  The temperature stayed at 33 degrees at the house.  Two miles to the west it was 30 and they have about 2 inches of ice.  It warmed over night at the house and was 60 degrees at six,  15 miles to the west were my parents live it was 37.  Last January we were out of power for two weeks,  I have some friends that were out 34 days.  We have a hog facility and a poultry farm, last spring it was costing over $150 a day to run the generators.  I really feel for those without power.

red

Just spoke w/ Gidget (Justme) in MO. Their electricity just went out a couple of hours ago. She's trying to do some of her sewing by hand.

Red

ROAD WARRIOR

We had maybe 1/4 inch of ice this a.m. Temp had warmed to 41 by 7 and it had turned to plain rain. Now it's 10:30 and temp has dropped to 33. They are predicting another 3/4 inch of ice by midnight tonight. I have my generator loaded in the back of the truck and ready to fire up if needed.

AAOK

Doc said:
Wonder how this will affect the 3 sales in western OK this weekend? 
25 miles north of Nashville,TN we're going to hit a record of 75 today, then be 45 tomorrow(with rain). Can we say sick calves.

This Ice Storm in Oklahoma is affecting a smaller area of the State than last year's storm, and with less damage, but the number of those without power is far greater.  Oklahoma City is BAD.  As Will mentioned, close to 1/4 of our residents are without power.  The media report is that OG & E is on track to have everyone wired within 7 days.  At my house, we had just enough Ice Sunday to coat the trees and high lines.  It was all gone by Noon Monday, and this morning I woke up to super dense fog, and 50 degrees at 5am.  Most of the State is now above freezing, and receiving rain.  All the ice should be knocked off by this evening.  Temperatures across most of the hardest hit areas of Oklahoma are forecast to stay above freezing through Wednesday.  
You guys in SE Kansas and SW Missouri beware of the travel conditions.  STAY AT HOME!  The last count I heard was 11 dead in Oklahoma Sunday and Monday.  A couple from Ada I've known for many years were killed Sunday on I-40.  They had stopped for a wreck ahead of them, and a Semi crashed into 6 cars.  A total of 5 died in this crash.  The two I know were burned beyond recognition.

Wishing you all Safety in the Storm.  

SWMO

Tuesday Noon. Still no power at my house I'm at the store in town.  Went out 5:00 Sunday morning and according to the news there is no prediction on when Empire District Electric will get the power on.  Have a generator but have to share it with the well at the barn.  Somehow the livestock seems to think that they also need to drink.  Doing a lot of grilling outside.

Our Willow trees sure took a beating this time.  Don't know if we will be able to save them.

After the same thing in January of this year you would have though that Empire would have been more prepared for this one however it seems that they were even less prepared. In January (we live on a major HWY)  I saw Empire trucks all the time day time and night time.  This time we haven't seen nary a one.  It is very hard to have the Christmas spirit about this.  Twice in one year just plain stinks.  Even worse is that NewMac not even an 1/8 of a mile south of us and runs across the back side of the farm has never once lost power during this ice storm or during the last ice storm.  Intend to ask Empire if they will just transfer us to NewMac.  Seems like NewMac is taking better care of their lines.

On the good side, we now have plenty of moisture and it is not nearly as cold as in January. And it is just raining now.  Hoping that the freeze line stays well North of us.

garybob

I'm with "Doc" on this one. I'd rather have Snow ( hold the sleet, please) than the mud and 33 degrees of cold, wet, rain. Thanks to our neighbors in the Backgrounding business, We now have to keep an arsenal of antibiotics, even for home-raised calves that have never seen a trailer. The weather makes this situation worse.

cowz

Hang in there guys.  I missed the ice, but got the snow.  I know how hard it is to keep water going for yourselves and your cattle when you rely on electric to run wells.  Having a windmill on the place sometimes has its advantages!

After the crazy kid shot people in church here Sunday, it hits home how lucky we are, even when mother nature sends out some rough stuff. 

Stay warm, hug someone, and be safe!

Jill

Sorry, we got home last yesterday afternoon and power has been out part of the day today, I am just now catching up on reading.  We got hit by the ice pretty bad, but from what I understand the temps at 1000 feet are at 50 and the ground is at 30s so we got mostly rain instead of all ice, if it had been all ice we would have been socked in for weeks, as it is everything is coated, 1/4-1/2 inch around here and the temps are supposed to drop this evening so we'll see.  Stay warm and dry and hopefully the power will come on soon, that is just miserable!

red

SRU let me know that they too are without power. Hope everyone stays warm & safe!

Red