Ice

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mainevent

I was washing my heifers yesterday and the water was freezing to the hair. I was wondering if the ice does any damage to the hair?

Dozer45

Just keep hoseing that will help keep the ice from forming and then hurry inside an get her warm and dry. What little bit forms should not hurt her

wowcows

Before I got my newer washrack built I let my beer gauge when it is to cold. If my beer shushed up, it was to cold to be putting water on them. Yesterday it was 30* and I got it up to 65* at one time in my washrack area before I turned down the heat. Saying, that is to hot given you are going to kick them back out in the cold.
I think good comon sense plays into all this. Check the shiver factor of your calves when rinsing in the cold one, and two, if you end up sick too that won't be much of fun way to head to a show.
<beer>

Dozer45

We also built a hot water heater of sorts to rinse with warm water. I dont think its fair to get them cold. We took an old heating coil and plumbed it so a hose attaches to the bottom and slowly fills to the top where it drains into a drum ( the water is to hot right out of the coil) and is then sump pumped out on to the calf. its a pretty crazy looking thing but it works pretty good!

cornershack

we wash as long as the concrete is not trecherous! if the water turns to ice underfoot its too cold. same thing if you can't stand to get your hands wet, safe bet your not doing yourself or the calf any justice. think obout it they stand out in the rain and sleet and snow. i have seen posts by "experts" i don't claim to be one, that say as long as you can get them dry pretty quick it doesn't hurt. good luck showing

PaFFA Proud

I hate my washing set up...the spicket is 200 ft from the barn(talk about length of hose) and cold water. I tie my steer to a tie ring in the door way and wash briskley...cause in the summer the water is quite nippy then. My parents never thought of washing when thet put the barn up, but I plan next year to have a wash rack in the barn with hot water and heat and have a spicket closer to the barn. If it is blistering wind and snow Im not going to wash that day....not to mention the hose freezes  :-\