Idol- let down?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Was it me or was ths show just one big drawn out thing last night?
I guess I was dissapointed in the whole thing. did like to see the former winners come back & sing. I really am questioning America's & my choice in Taylor though. Chris Daughtery is just too good right now.
I don't think there was any surprise on Jordin winning. I didn't think the final song she & Blake each sang was fair. It was a song just written for her & her voice. Make Blake look uncomfortable & just didn't work on him.
I think she'll do well but not outstanding in her career. Blake will probalby be part of a band. Any thoughts on who out of that group will do really well after Idol?
Thoughts? Come on Knabe, Telos & Oh B- just know your dying to comment!!

Red

knabe

i missed the first half hour, but here's my rundown not in the order it happened, just what stuck out.

bette midler was way off key, with absolutely no range like she used to belt it out.  then when you thought the song was over, she riffed a little.  made me real uncomfortable.  she usually sings that song really well.

clive's meanderings about songwriters and then a weird award for the latest extreme dieter, carrie underwood, who i thought was weird shadowing on her song with the light between her legs.  then when she came out in that dress with the pumps, at first i thought, how can someone be so dang hot, a good singer, man life just isn't fair, if she would only eat a steak, it's what's for dinner.

taylor's song with the cool riff in the beginning was cool till he started singing, his vocal was kinda drowned out by the music, they need to lessen the instruments in his mHz range.  i kinda like him, i wish they would get him to do a joe cocker song, flop on the ground like john belushi did with raquel welch did on SNL (no video on youtube or anywhere).

i think the figure 8 breeding analogy is in order for guitarist legends.  i REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLy liked jeff beck and kelly clarkson.  when joe perry came on, who, i guess is decent for a "legend" and worked with clarkson, i thougth it was pretty good.  i thinnk she should do some of what robert plant did with jimmy page and mirror each other, and then hold out her hand like he used to and let some pigeons go.  uhhhhhhhhh  uhhhhhhhhhhh (robert plant's voice)  uhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhh (page's guitar). so back to the figure 8.  guitar legends are dead, and basically music in general sucks right now, which is why music isn't selling, not because everyone is stealing it.  legends, i mean guitiarists, have been dead for a while, it's time for them to come back.  when it started in the 60's, all those guys had lot's of foral music training.  producers are too eager to put not one song wonders out there, but it's been reduced to 5 note wonders.

ok back to idol,  i can see why melinda won't be big, unless she does a little less gospel, though the two she sang with i thought were good in an upbeat davis and mccoo sort of way.  blakes got to improve drastically on his range, which is part of the education if he wants to escape the icy hot stuntaz genre.  he's obviously got some skill.

jordin, ok quit with the crying.  with her style, she will get better if she can do better at more range within a note rather than searching for the right note as she moves within the note.  i can't stand it when singers do it.  it's what the great singers have like celine deon, even though i don't care for her songs very much, her sheer talent gives me goose bumps once in a while.

now as my review is getting long and drawn out, i think idol is kinda like the planet.  lots' of diversity, don't hide the warts, like to have fun, appreciate the oldsters, good skills, and poke fun at yourself, otherwise you end up a republicrat/demican.

when rock is truly back, there will be a return of the drum solo, albeit shorter than bonham and moon i hope, and then the guitar solo and creative stuff like jimmy sliding the guitar on the mike stand.

i have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell. 

SKF

I feel that this whole season of Idol was a big let down. :(  Of course I am stll mad about Chris being kicked of last season. He was one of the best they have ever had. Hope next season is much better.

red

I just caught Chris's band at the end of Tuesday's show & he really impressed me. you could see that he has really worked on his music & has stayed true to his style. It might have been the best for him he didn't win. I read where Kelly Clarkson & that Clive were fighting over what should be in her album. She finally won out but I guess if you have to go through all that it's better to be your own person.

Knabe- are you really sick or was that a metaphor for something? Great points though.
I gave up on the show after a while & went to bed. Got up just in time to see the winner. They sure didn't give her much time after that!

For Scott & DL- we are talking about American Idol in case you get confused! ;)

knabe

i'm not sick, well, at least not physically, thanks.  the reference about the cowbell is a saturday night live skit about a song by blue oyster cult, "don't fear the reaper"
they were a one hit wonder in my book, but had a couple of songs that were popular, go go godzilla, etc

http://www.pistolwimp.com/media/12491/

let the whole thing load first.  watch the crackups.

genes

Not an Idol watcher....but a big Cowbell fan here :p  One of my favorite skits.

OH Breeder

All right. My favorites were gone, Lakisha and Malinda. SO, I didn't care too much for either. I like Blake more, because, I am not for much drama. I know the girl is 17 but she cried alot already. One night they were scanning the group when Chris and the other guy went home, when the camera hit her she immediately buried her face in her hands and began to cry. She looked right at the camera at first and nothing.But it seemed like she realized hey they are looking right at me and then began that crying crap. She has to mature for me. I thought her final performance was AWFUL. Really enjoyed Gladys Knight. She was awsome! Got chills from her. Then to have BOTH of my favorites sing with her, Lakisha and Malinda GREAT!