If you could say anything about livestock

Help Support Steer Planet:

Weaverv3

I am doing an informative speech to my college class over livestock showing. I figured I would hit on some basics, why we do, how we do etc, and maybe some figures etc. I was wondering, if you could inform people who know nothing about showing or livestock, what would it be? Its only a five minute speech, so I can't go into a monologue about choosing a proper AI sire or genetics, but anything you all can offer will be helpful.

tntfarms4

Consistency working with cattle. Those who work daily, it shows on showday. If you don't work daily with your show steers/ calves you won't see winning results  RockinWcattle/ ohio

Weaverv3

What do you think about the stereotype about it being "hicks" that show, and the animal cruelty remarks we so often get at shows?

knabe

you show to compare your stock against other people, market your cattle, meet new business opportunities.

ask an hsus person if they know who margaret sanger is and the foundation of the progressive movement, eugenics then, and now with the ability to test for defects and what they would be doing now if they were aborted.

DiamondMCattle

Ive never heard the hick stereotype for people that show livestock, and anyone that has been around showing livestock knows that most people that do it are extremely intelligent. The cruelty thing is something we are always going to have to address, but if you show livestock you know how well that the animals are treated and its hard for some people to understand it.

Weaverv3

It may be a regional thing as far as the "hick" or "redneck" stereotype goes. Do you guys feel that showing is improving the quality and safety of our beef? I know that the majority of meat comes from feedlot cattle, but do you think showing and the improvement of genetics helps the industry as a whole to produce higher quality beef?

McM93

I may be off base, but sell them on the fact that cattle convert forages that humans can not digest into meat, which humans can digest. Many of your classmates see livestock as a choice to feeding the world, not a necessity...