Ill heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

Steakmaker

I have a 15 month old heifer that is not feeling well. She not eating or drinking, laying down a lot, when she gets up she stretches out a lot, picks up her back legs. She has NO temperature. We have not seen her go to the bathroom at all. This is been going on for the third day now. About two weeks ago she did the same thing for one day and then was better. She has been getting  about 20 #s of show feed and free choice hay daily. We have not giving her grain for the last couple of days only hay. (wont eat) anyone have any suggestions?????  Thanks

The Show

Normally when their not eating like that it's because they have a stomach bug. I'd give her some probios and if that doesn't help take her to the vet

DFSC

If she is not going to the bathroom, it is possible that she could have an impaction or some kind of intestinal problem. You can try to drench her with some mineral oil and see if that helps.

Steakmaker

Called the vet out and he said she had a  stomach bug. He figured the ph in her stomach was off and drenched her med and said she would be fine. He commented the she looked really good and you would not know that she was sick  by looking at her. He just figured that her rumen wasn't working right. Thanks for your help.

DL

Steakmaker said:
Called the vet out and he said she had a  stomach bug. He figured the ph in her stomach was off and drenched her med and said she would be fine. He commented the she looked really good and you would not know that she was sick  by looking at her. He just figured that her rumen wasn't working right. Thanks for your help.

If you thought she was not feeling well and your vet said she looked real good then I see two things
- you have a good eye and you know your cattle
- you picked it up early

Good job and glad she is better