Illinois Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

Just got back from the Illinois Beef expo.  Had a real good time!  I wanted to give a shout out to John McCurry on a real nice job sorting through the Angus Futurity sale cattle.  It was very unpolitical and the right ones found the way to the top.  I really enjoyed listening to him talk the classes.

I also met Justin(Olson Family Shorthorns)!  He had a really nice Ace of Diamonds heifer that looks to be pretty competitive this year.  If you have a chance to meet him he is a really good guy!

Finally, today our Angus heifer took reserve in her division!  It sure was a nice way to end the weekend! 

midway6376

Congrats on the heifer. I ended up talking to Justin and met Tyler from Hofstatter Farms. It was very nice to put some faces with people.

Torch

John is in a special group when it comes to judging.

Unfortunately, many of his contemporaries are not.

Coop

Cattledog,  how did the Angus heifers sell? Wanted to go but could not get away.

Cattledog

Coop said:
Cattledog,   how did the Angus heifers sell? Wanted to go but could not get away.

I think both bulls and heifers averaged over 3300.  Not sure though.  I only caught a little bit of sale.

kamerkat

W hat does the iba do with all the money the make off the show? You would think with 800 hd.in the jr. show @ 40/head they would have enough money to pay the top 5 strs and hfrs.   

Cows-N-Corn

kamerkat said:
W hat does the iba do with all the money the make off the show? You would think with 800 hd.in the jr. show @ 40/head they would have enough money to pay the top 5 strs and hfrs.   

Our group was wondering that exact question. They brought in a ton of money, in the $30000 range. What will they do with that money?

Cattledog

kamerkat said:
1st place got their money back went down from there
Last year we got second in class with a heifer and came up 10 bucks short.  This year we came out ahead with a reserve in a division but heck....I don't show for the premiums anyway.

simtal

Cows-N-Corn said:
kamerkat said:

Our group was wondering that exact question. They brought in a ton of money, in the $30000 range. What will they do with that money?

it costs a TON of money to have at IL fairgrounds

Cattledog

simtal said:
Cows-N-Corn said:
kamerkat said:

Yep, that would be my guess as well.

kamerkat

simtal said:
Cows-N-Corn said:
kamerkat said:

that is their excuse but im sure a state affilated assoc get a deal plus 30000 won't touch it when you fig.in the sales  and the memberships