Im new to this forum.

Help Support Steer Planet:

BroncoFan

I started looking at the different forums on this bull and that bull.  I wanted to see what bulls are working and for what kinds of cows.  I have learned a lot by reading all the many different posts.  Yes I had to cut though the BS to get there.  My wife introduced me to the show side of things.  I worked for various people that had commercial or rodeo livestock.  We own 9 head of cows and we are waiting on our 3rd crop of calves to hit the ground.  Our goal is to increase our herd but only with quality cattle. 

Gargan

BroncoFan said:
I started looking at the different forums on this bull and that bull.  I wanted to see what bulls are working and for what kinds of cows.  I have learned a lot by reading all the many different posts.  Yes I had to cut though the BS to get there.  My wife introduced me to the show side of things.  I worked for various people that had commercial or rodeo livestock.  We own 9 head of cows and we are waiting on our 3rd crop of calves to hit the ground.  Our goal is to increase our herd but only with quality cattle.
Welcome to the site. Best of luck reaching your cattle goals!!

BroncoFan

Thanks! It is tough in this day and age to get into the cattle business of any sort.  Luckily we aren't starting from scratch.  We bought our cows from my wife's college livestock judging coach.  We are also running our cows with his.  We know we won't get to forever so eventually we will need to get our own place set up.

We just want to raise good functional cattle that will work for 4-H and FFA kids because that is really what it is all about.  At least for us.

BroncoFan

Our cows are Maine based. One is a black cow with a brockle face, one red heifer that we kept, one white legged cow and the rest are solid black.  We have a WMW second calver that is bred to Gold Rush.  She is having a heifer.  One is bred to Southern Comfort and will calve a bull.  One is bred to Young Money and the vet couldn't tell if the calf is a bull for heifer.  One is bred to a Milkman son could have an orange calf like the Uncle Kracker calf she had two years ago.  She had a Young Money Heifer this past year that was patterned like a Hereford.  She's our Brockle face cow that raises a good one every year.  Her Milkman son calf will be a bull.  Our power cow and also our donor cow got bred by a red roan Moose son.  She is calving a heifer and all of her previous heifers automatically go in the keeper pen.  The other two calves should be solid black.  Obviously our red heifer that is a daughter of Fast Freddie won't calve and neither will our I-67 heifer that we kept.

In a nutshell, color is nice but we just want our calves to be sound, stout and functional.  We hope that whoever buys the calves are happy with them.  Anything worth doing is worth doing right and if your gonna feed one you might as well feed a good one. 

I got two litters out of my German Shorthair Pointers.  I get calls several times a month still asking when I will have another litter. I sold the last pup just over a year ago. Most of the people have called back and have told me great things about their puppies.  Some of the pups have already won some junior field trials.  I mention this because I would hope we can produce some quality cattle that we will get positive feedback and get people wanting more.

BroncoFan

We would like to add some half blood simmi and half blood angus. We wish we were going to Denver this year but we can't this year with my work. We think getting sexed embryos is the way to go.

parkerqb7

Sorry so late getting back to you some of my favorites for club calves include sunseeker, hairy, my turn, survivor, time saver, and pooh bear

BroncoFan

I believe that I used to work with the guy that owns Pooh Bear. Great family and from what I have seen in pictures a great bull.

We are now just waiting for our cows to calve. The first to calve is a Ranger heifer who was bred to a calving ease Ali son. She is due to have a heifer on Feb 10th.