implant ??? get steers a bit bigger

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

OK for the last 3-4 yrs we have raised a nice steer to take to the Co fair... Only problem is that when they reach about 14 months old they flat stop growing! they are 1150 48-49 inches tall and grade high choice with 14 sq in loins in them.... All that is great in the real world but I need this sucker to be 51 inches and 1350. is there an implant or something that will keep a steer eating and growing so we can at least get a sniff at the  prize.. We do real well in class 1 or 2 but whoopee I need to win class 5 so what can I do to try and get a calf  to keep going when they just flat quit...

sjcattleco

OK let me rephrase this post

If you implant your show steers which one do you use and why?  I stated what I needed so is there anything out there that will work?

OH Breeder

We impalnt using Ralgro. January at weigh in we are tagged and fair board weighs calves. I evaluate projected rate of gain from weaning to January. IF they need a bump I implant them with two ralgro implants. Sometimes we have implanted every 60 days til country after january depending on the calf and the genetics. We weigh again in June as our county fair is in September and summer is hard on them. If we need the calf that was implanted in January may get another one in June. Ralgro has worked for us. It is cheap and they have it at the local Tractor Supply. We show by shoulder height.