Implants for show steers

Help Support Steer Planet:

sprayguy

I have a steer prospect that is a little behind in weight. He has been weaned, castrated, and all meds. His frame is large for his age but haven't been able to get him to start eating to add weight. In the old days we implanted all steers for market class but I don't want to screw him up. He has good hair and all the parts just need to start putting on weight and fill.

Barry Farms

This is a good question, I never thought that implants might reduce hair. To add to the question I implant my steers (show and comm.) at weaning, February, and then in June. If someone more knowledgeable knows please tell me if this is a bad idea for show steers.

obie105

At our county fair weigh in it was always an option. I know when I interned at a feedlot they implanted everything when we received and then again about half done. I am helping someone with a steer for next year would also like to know. It's what I did 10 years ago but things are always changing.

grandchamp58

If anyone knows- do implants help eating habits? I have heard that they decrease carcass value in terminal animals and fertility in breeding animals, but not sure if this is true either.

ploughshare

sprayguy said:
I have a steer prospect that is a little behind in weight. He has been weaned, castrated, and all meds. His frame is large for his age but haven't been able to get him to start eating to add weight. In the old days we implanted all steers for market class but I don't want to screw him up. He has good hair and all the parts just need to start putting on weight and fill.
I was taught that implants would improve a animal's ability to lay down protein (muscle), increase daily gain,  and lean them up. This will essentially make them more efficient and increase yield grade but at the expense of quality grade.  You did not mention the weight of your steer or his frame size and both will make a huge difference if you choose to implant.  If he is close I would focus on getting him finished.  If he is just weaned, then I would focus on the amount of energy in his diet and adding something like sure champ instead of an implant.  Yes, growth implants will hurt hair growth in my experience.  They also hurt attitude.  I once had a Full Throttle son out of a Power Blitz cow that I cut and then implanted with synovex.  He could have been a bucking bull or a top match for a bull fighter. He thought his nose ring was a jewlery piece. Although he was a kitten compared to my Total Power x Sir Williams Angus bull that could have been a poster child for any John Deere stamp.

ejoe326

Glenstory I think Throttle semen should have been sold with nose rings.  I walked into a friend's showbarn one day to see fans turned over and smashed, gates down, bedding everywhere, the chute in pieces, etc.  He had a Throttle in to clip and he turned on the blower. 

Our vet routinely implants replacement heifers.  We have done it and were happy with the results.  The key is the type of implant.  I am curious to know if there is a connection between implants and pelvic measurements at calving for first calf heifers.  We noticed a difference in a group of full sibs that were implanted vs. those that were not. 

OH Breeder

ejoe326 said:
Glenstory I think Throttle semen should have been sold with nose rings.  I walked into a friend's showbarn one day to see fans turned over and smashed, gates down, bedding everywhere, the chute in pieces, etc.  He had a Throttle in to clip and he turned on the blower. 

Our vet routinely implants replacement heifers.  We have done it and were happy with the results.  The key is the type of implant.  I am curious to know if there is a connection between implants and pelvic measurements at calving for first calf heifers.  We noticed a difference in a group of full sibs that were implanted vs. those that were not.

Can you elaborate meaning your implanted heifer had harder time? What type of implants do you use on your heifers?

AI Man

my vet told me that u can give heifers implants if it is the right kind  there is a implant that is a male hormone that you shouldnt give heifers  not sure the name that would obvisly not be good to give them  but there is a implant that does not have male hormones in it and is fine to use 

BadgerFan

why on earth would anyone consider implanting breeding heifers if there's even a hint it might decrease their lifetime fertility?  To save a couple bucks on development costs?!

hamburgman

Ok couple of points:

1.  You may implant heifers as young calves.  We do all the time and haven't had any issues with breeding problems.  We use Synovex C implants.  They are a lower potency and just have 10mg estradiol and 100mg P4 in them.  A good rule we use though is if you "know for sure" this is a heifer you are going to keep no need to implant.  However if you might, maybe, possibly, thinking about it then implant because we haven't had problems and no use missing out of 20+ pounds.

2. Implanting show steers:  I would try to avoid implanting them if at all possible.  Sometimes after the implants are done steers can get a bully look and pretty cresty.  Some implants especially the hot ones will make them cresty.  If I implant show steers I just use an estradiol with no TBA.  If you are going for a carcass/ADG contest then I make sure to find the date of the scan and work backwards on my implant times.  I like 20 days past the implant life to be the day of the scan, they will grade better most of the time then.  There are circumstances I am sure where people can implant and get along fine, but most show calves anymore really don't need the extra help with growth. 

ejoe326

Who said it would decrease their lifetime fertility?  That has not been the case at all.

The full sibs that were not implanted had smaller pelvises.  Management through calving was the same.

The heifers are implanted when they hit the replacement pen.  We use one of the Synovex.  We also used Encore on some of the calves in a test to see the impact.  I don't know what those will do yet as they are still on the cow.