Implants

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chap34

I was wondering if there are any problems with giving implants to show steers.  Thanks in advance.

OH Breeder

I sent you a personal message. Some folks on here that can provide pretty detailed and valuable informatio on implants for show steers.

shortdawg

We've never had any problems using them other than a little extra attitude for a short time after we implant.

cytime

Depends on which ones you use.. I personally wouldnt.. They will get bull necked n nt as attractive on the profile.. If ya was 2 use it could breat the implant open n only give them half of it..

shortdawg

They have helped us get them to 12 O'clock and they've got to be there at those fat shows. We use 2 G's if they really need a push or just one if they just need a little extra.

kobo_ranch

A few nice folks on here gave me some advise this past year.  We used on both our sons steers this year with no problems (besides the one not liking us messing with his ears!)  Anyhow, really not sure still if they really needed it they were pretty big already.  Think it really should be decided steer to steer and what show you're shooting for.  That said I did both and think it did probably firm them up a bit especially this last one.  Don't think it added height either.  But probably varies depending again on the animal (and the type of implant).
We used the REVALOR S (not sure of spelling)  Did not change ours temperament at all.  GOOD LUCK

OH Breeder

kobo_ranch said:
A few nice folks on here gave me some advise this past year.  We used on both our sons steers this year with no problems (besides the one not liking us messing with his ears!)  Anyhow, really not sure still if they really needed it they were pretty big already.  Think it really should be decided steer to steer and what show you're shooting for.  That said I did both and think it did probably firm them up a bit especially this last one.  Don't think it added height either.  But probably varies depending again on the animal (and the type of implant).
We used the REVALOR S (not sure of spelling)  Did not change ours temperament at all.  GOOD LUCK

We used Ralgro on a hard gainer. he was 1000#'s when we put it in and put on 542#'s implanted him twice at 60 day intervals. Rate of gain was 3.61#'s and we finished 3rd at our county level rate of gain out of about 50-60 steers. We kind of over shot our mark(1542#) but he finished second in class. We show by hip heights. He was in the last class of hip heights. He was 52 1/2 and carried 1542 very well. Judge found him to be the most complete animal but had some leather up front. Our buy back was 92 cents a lb from packers and we originally bought him for $750. Our premimum was buyer's premium was $500.00. think it was the first show steer we might have made money. It worked for that steer. our other steer did not need implants. I think you have to evaluate it case by case.