Implants ??

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bulldogg

We have a steer that needs to be really pushed to make it to our county fair. We are thinking about implanting him. What are the best implants to use on a show steer?

shortyjock89

Revalor S is what we used to use when we wanted to implant a steer...I know there are other ones out there, but that's what we used..

OH Breeder

At what age is the best for implants. Some say the 60 days prior to show date. What if you have one that is wanting to grow and not fatten up. I have cut the feed to 70 corn and 30 oats. The bugger has hit a growing spurt and I want him to get fat.

shortyjock89

Well, I have heard of  couple different strategies for Implanting.  One is to Implant 45-60 days before the target show, another is to implant twice..one 120 days in advance, and then again at 60...seems like overkill to me.  If I were you, I would consider feeding cooked corn and barley to your steer.  It will put the fat on him, and it will increase his appetite.  And since it's getting cold out, you don't really have to worry about burning off his hair.  If cooking the feed isn't an option, I would feed him additional fat in his ration in the form of either wheat germ oil, or corn oil.  Just a couple oz. should do the trick.  Feeding Barley will put the fat on evenly, but not quite as fast as corn (as you probably know)....I'm sure there are more and possibly better solutions, but that's what I have for ya  :)))

TJ

shortyjock89 said:
Well, I have heard of  couple different strategies for Implanting.  One is to Implant 45-60 days before the target show, another is to implant twice..one 120 days in advance, and then again at 60...seems like overkill to me.  If I were you, I would consider feeding cooked corn and barley to your steer.  It will put the fat on him, and it will increase his appetite.  And since it's getting cold out, you don't really have to worry about burning off his hair.  If cooking the feed isn't an option, I would feed him additional fat in his ration in the form of either wheat germ oil, or corn oil.  Just a couple oz. should do the trick.  Feeding Barley will put the fat on evenly, but not quite as fast as corn (as you probably know)....I'm sure there are more and possibly better solutions, but that's what I have for ya  :)))

Some good advice, shortyjock89! 

RE implants... I think 45-60 days before the show is the best for implants, but that is JMHO.

RE cooking corn/barely... I'd cook about a cup per feeding & add it to the current ration. 

RE the oil... 4 oz. twice per day is the max, but I think 2 or 3 oz. top dressed twice per day is plenty.   

A little lamb milk replacer top dressed on the feed, works good too. 

DEA

Which would be better to use?  Corn oil or wheat germ oil?  Also, can you top dress with corn oil from a store such as wal mart (cheaper???)?  How much is to much to use?

shortyjock89

The oil from Wal Mart would work, I think, but the oil that you could get from your Co-op or feed mill will probably be flavored and more palatable to the calf.  I would say that more that 4 oz./feeding would be too much.  If you feed too much, you'll give the calf the runs, and the you run into a whole lot of problems...weight loss, going off feed...I would stick to 4 oz or under/feeding.