IMPLANTS!

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl

Ok!
We have just weaned a calf, hes a little small and we need him to put 2.5lbs on him a day till sept. to make our weight (lowest weight).
He so far is eatting good but hes only been home for a day. I was thinking about implanting him now to help put weight on,
What kind and which implant should i use? How often from here out do i have to re-implant and with what kind. I was looking and theres a bunch of kinds what works the best for everyone?? How long do they usually last for?

BCCC

every 30 days on the ralgro, an dif u go to say 32 days to re implant them they will go off feed, for a while.

chambero

Our show calves make better than 2.5 lbs per day without implants.  Are you sure you need them.  I don't like them on young, growing calves because they can make some things grow out of proportion.

sawboss

I agree with Chambero, implanting a young steer will sometimes make them have too much frame and offset the "proper" growth process thus killing fat gain.  We implant our steers in November for the Fort Worth show in January.  Too fast of growth affects tendon and ligament development which can lead to structure issues.

showgirl

which type of ralgro?? How young can you start them?

BCCC said:
every 30 days on the ralgro, an dif u go to say 32 days to re implant them they will go off feed, for a while.

showgirl

I'm just afraid that the calf will stop eating with how hot it is, I mean he has to gain a min. of 2.5lbs a day. This weekend more than likely  be getting her a fan and misters for the pen.

chambero said:
Our show calves make better than 2.5 lbs per day without implants.  Are you sure you need them.  I don't like them on young, growing calves because they can make some things grow out of proportion.

chambero

We're feeding fall calves through the summer, but we still usually stay above 2.5 through the Texas heat (fans and misters, not coolers).

If you are talking about a heifer, their gains are typically lower than steers, but I would strongly recommend against implanting a heifer at all if you plan to breed her.