Important features on a stock trailer

Help Support Steer Planet:

simba

I'm buying my first trailer, and we have the option to customize it, so I was wondering what important features everyone would add to make the perfect trailer..

The trailer we are looking at is a 20 foot steele gooseneck (steele for cost reasons) with a wood floor. It won't be the fanciest, but it should suit my needs and still fit my price range.

The options that I am going to ask for are:
Ties along the inside wall.
A divider 3 feet from the front of trailer and one 8.5 feet from the back with a sliding walk through door.

Are there any other options that would be valuable to have? Any suggestions are appreciated!

blackdiamond

inside doors on wheels for adjustments.

3.5 foot section in front isn't going to give you much good. 

Our trailor has side doors in the nose, really makes it awesome to get most things in and out w/o havinig to get in the trailor.

Wind sweeps on the sides work great.

BadgerFan

I just bought a new trailer.  Here's my list:

I usually put tack in front compartment and cattle in back when going to a show so I wanted an escape door on the curbside.  Makes changing a tire much safer.

Plexiglass.  Too cold up here not to have it.

running boards.  I wanted these, but didn't get them. 

sliding door on center gate.  Without this, sorting cattle between compartments is difficult if not  impossible.

ROMAX

Buy an aluminum trailer,these days the price difference is not that much,and it will last almost forever,steel looks good for a couple of years but when they start to go they go in a hurry.Price around and i think you will be suprised how affordable aluminum is.

hevmando

I second the aluminum, your depreciation (actual ownership cost) will be lower vs. steel as residual value will be much higher.  Also ties up high and down low on outside of trailer for when you may jackpot at a show and fit outside.  High ties keep heads up obviously, low ties let them eat.  Loading lights inside and outside.

blackdiamond

I just bought a brand new, 1984 Fiberglass Triggs trailor.. Wouldn't trade it for an alum, or steel any day.  one spot of rust behind truck tires.

BadgerFan

blackdiamond said:
I just bought a brand new, 1984 Fiberglass Triggs trailor.. Wouldn't trade it for an alum, or steel any day.  one spot of rust behind truck tires.

Why do you say that?

RyanChandler

hevmando said:
I second the aluminum, your depreciation (actual ownership cost) will be lower vs. steel as residual value will be much higher.  Also ties up high and down low on outside of trailer for when you may jackpot at a show and fit outside.  High ties keep heads up obviously, low ties let them eat.  Loading lights inside and outside.

Yes but your initial cash outlay will be substantially more.  If you can afford 2x as much$ up front for an aluminum, then youre right, the salavage value will likely compensate for the difference.  Then again, Id invest that difference and by the time a 20,000 trailer is depreciated, I would have accrued considerably more $ than the salvage value variance in the 2 trailers.

BTW Larissa, the bull in your avatar is top of the line!

Duffer

On our aluminum I got dual jacks no more messing with jackstands when you leave the cattle on the trailer.  Also roof vents are great don't care for vents in the drop sheet due to fumes coming in going down the road.  Led lights

blackdiamond

BadgerFan said:
blackdiamond said:

Why do you say that?

cheap, never 'rust', last forever, and heavy built to haul anything.

was thinking we might need to repaint it, until I powerwashed it off, and it's like brand new now.

simba

I appreciate all the input, I will certainly look into the suggestions! I know that many people are recommending aluminum, but being that I'm only 17 and I'll be paying for it mostly myself, I'm on a pretty tight budget. I do appreciate the input though!
-XBAR- said:

Thank You XBAR, I am very proud of him, You Tube is actually the first bull I have ever bred and raised. It's funny that you bring him up, because he is actually the reason that I am able to afford a trailer. This fall at Agribition I sold a 3/4 interest in You Tube for $20,000, so now I have some extra money to spend on some of the items I need.

showsteerdlux

Larissa said:
I appreciate all the input, I will certainly look into the suggestions! I know that many people are recommending aluminum, but being that I'm only 17 and I'll be paying for it mostly myself, I'm on a pretty tight budget. I do appreciate the input though!
-XBAR- said:

Thank You XBAR, I am very proud of him, You Tube is actually the first bull I have ever bred and raised. It's funny that you bring him up, because he is actually the reason that I am able to afford a trailer. This fall at Agribition I sold a 3/4 interest in You Tube for $20,000, so now I have some extra money to spend on some of the items I need.
I understand where you are coming from with the age thing. With that said, I would definite look into what is available as far as financing goes for an aluminum trailor. Yes, you will have to have a cosignor, but really, it is a good way to start building credit and have something that is going to be valuable down the road.

I bought my 1st trailor that was all mine at age 21. I will be the 1st to admit there are some things I would do different, but the basics that have been mentioned are very valuable pieces of advice. Speaking from experience, Unless you are in the deep south, a steel trailer is not the way to go. The upkeep is hard, they are a pain to load, you can't easily get them sealed up for wind, they rust, so on and so forth.

Itis not that hard to find a reasonable 20-24 foot aluminum trailer out there. Yes the 8 foot wide is nice, but if you aren't going to have a full load, then its not going to kill you to not have it. I would invest in all the tie rails (notice I said rails not rings), plexi is a must, and if possible a few roof vents would help to get a little air in there when you have the plexi in. Another thing I would say, is if you do get a new trailer, get the heavier duty tires. It sure is nice going on a haul and knowing the tires you have are actually worth something and not something that should be on an enclosed trailer.

Just my thoughts. Good luck finding a trailer that works for you.

DLD

We get along well with steel trailers, but we are alot farther south.  Regardless of the construction you choose, I'd recommend a few things - at least 6' 8" wide, and move that front divider back to 4' - it fits so many things so much better.  Lots of people around here are going to a full 4' escape door (or ramp), which along with the divider at 4', gives you room to haul a four wheeler (means nothing going to shows, I know, but it does if you use them to gather cattle).  I like a 20' trailer with dividers at 4' from the front and 8' from the back, but I can see wanting a compartment to be over 8' if you haul an 8' chute.  As others have said, tie rails are always good, and make sure you get at least 6000# axles and 10 ply rated (load range E) tires. Others may say you need heavier axles and tires, and I won't argue, but I believe 6K axles and E rated tires are sufficient for a 6'-7' x 20' trailer. I'm not sure that it's necessary, but I'd look into a lifetime rubber floor if you go with a steel trailer.  No need for mats, and the peace of mind is worth something.

Congratulations on your bull - that's a very impressive accomplishment.

RyanChandler

showsteernc said:
Larissa said:
-XBAR- said:

I understand where you are coming from with the age thing. With that said, I would definite look into what is available as far as financing goes for an aluminum trailor. Yes, you will have to have a cosignor, but really, it is a good way to start building credit and have something that is going to be valuable down the road.

I bought my 1st trailor that was all mine at age 21. I will be the 1st to admit there are some things I would do different, but the basics that have been mentioned are very valuable pieces of advice. Speaking from experience, Unless you are in the deep south, a steel trailer is not the way to go. The upkeep is hard, they are a pain to load, you can't easily get them sealed up for wind, they rust, so on and so forth.

Itis not that hard to find a reasonable 20-24 foot aluminum trailer out there. Yes the 8 foot wide is nice, but if you aren't going to have a full load, then its not going to kill you to not have it. I would invest in all the tie rails (notice I said rails not rings), plexi is a must, and if possible a few roof vents would help to get a little air in there when you have the plexi in. Another thing I would say, is if you do get a new trailer, get the heavier duty tires. It sure is nice going on a haul and knowing the tires you have are actually worth something and not something that should be on an enclosed trailer.

Just my thoughts. Good luck finding a trailer that works for you.
Requiring a cosignor voids your credit argument as it builds none.