In Memory of my Dad

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

This is a poem I wrote a few years ago after losing my Dad to Non-Hoskins Lymphomia.

Following him to the Barn

I followed him to the barn
When for each of his steps I took five
he would lift me over fences
always keeping a watchful eye

when for each of his steps I took four
I struggled over gates
begging him to let me do more

when for each of his steps I took three
we would look up cows, mend fences
in the pasture  just him and me

when for each of his steps I took two
He did some things, I did others
for there was always something to do

when I matched him stride for stride
he taught me farming has little to do with money
but has lots to do with pride.

As I slowed my pace for him to keep up
he taught me not brute strength
but its the mind that has to be tough

as he watched me from the window
learning ever so slowly that one the farm
you reap exactly what you sow

When he let me go all alone
he trusted me to do whats right-
for thats what he taught me to know

When I had to carry him in my heart
even though he is not here
we are never far apart.

I still miss my Dad.

Happy Fathers Day to every Dad out there!

red

OK, Show Hef- you owe me a box of tissues!  :'(

My sister-in-law took me to see my dad Thursday. He's 80 & I know I need to see him more often.

Thank you such a wonderful tribute to a man that meant so much to you.

Red

Doc

Show Heifer, Really good poem! My dad died last September & I still catch myself starting to call him to tell him when a calf is born or when I have a question.

DL

SH - great poem

Doc welcome aboard - my Dad died 16 years ago and I'm still doing what you are doing - gotta tell him about this or that - Dad's are pretty special people - if you still have yours treasure the time....

shortdawg

Great Poem ! I blessed to still have my Daddy and work beside him every day. Happy Father's Day to all and God Bless !

OH Breeder

WOnderful writing SH. Very touching! (clapping)

I too lost my father when i was 22. YOu never forget them do you. Always remember there comforting words and special advise.
OH B

Joe Boy

I loved what  you wrote.  I have my Dad and every day he gets more feeble at 84 and a half.... he trimbles when he works in the combine.  He tore up $7,000 in parts plus lots of wasted time because he cannot hear the modern combines alarms or see, but insist on running it as it is his.  My brother and I talked today about what we are going to do to save him and us.... he is precious and hard headed.... we love him and do not want to hurt him but the time has come and I will take the lead in asking him to sell his part to my nephew.  They are very close and I think I can make the transition without hurting him.

Your poem reminded me of my granddaddy as he trained Dad and me and Dad trained me....

We really need more FARM dads.....

I wish I knew your real name and you would allow me to use your poem in a speech I will soon give..... e-mail me.

Joe Dale Wilson

Gypsy

SH-

Thank you for allowing all of us on this board to read your poem.  It touched my heart and made me appreciate my dad and all he has done for me.  It allowed me to see your dad, and to see how special he is to you.  Wish there were more out there like them, and thank you God for the ones that we do have and had.

bluegrass

Touching poem show hef. I am very close to my dad and don't know what I will do when I don't have him to talk about cattle and ball games and fishing with.

garybob

Have you ever thought of copyrighting and publishing it? It could be a big help to a lot of people, during times of family transition. Just a thought.

Gary Bob

sawboss

Wonderful words of love.  Yesterday being Father's Day started with a bang, had to discipline my 11 yr. old son while taking care of show animals before church.  At the end of services this same little boy greeted me with a smile and a hug.  At the end of the day I was able to watch my two sons work their horses with my Dad, I gave him that same smile and hug and thanked him for teaching me to be a man and most importantly a loving DAD! 

cowz

Show Heifer, I cannot begin to tell you how that poem made me think of my own relationship with my dad, being the only tomboy girl in my family.  I am still crying.  Wow!

Dale

Your poem struck a chord with me.  My dad, a career cattleman/farmer, passed on last Dec. at age 85. 

As long as Dad was able, he fed our replacement heifers.  Even after being at another location for 10 years, those cows knew and liked him, when we did our annual round-up & herd work.  He always said a cattleperson has to think like a cow (sounds like something Temple Grandin would say). 

He aged gracefully and quit driving (something he loved to do) a couple of years ago after his vision began to fail. 

Joe Dale, he stayed on the corn planter until his 70's when we became no-till farmers, and straight rows were much more difficult to plant.  One neighbor farmer was past 80 and still did not consider the sons ready to operate either the planter or combine.  Someone once said that a farmer, if he is not controlled by either the bank or the better half, is his own boss.

In his last year of life, Dad was able to attend church, go to the doctor or a restaurant, do cattle registrations and other desk work.  He & Mother had 60 gardens together.  He raised me as a barn rat, and that experience was invaluable--even met my wife at state fair. 

Farming together is a challenge, and a wonderful privilege.  He & I farmed together all my life.  Every male in my pedigree was either part or full-time farmer.  Yesterday it was meaningful to sing "Faith of our fathers! Living still...."

chambero

Lost my dad when I was 11 to stomach cancer.  Mom never remarried.  I got into show calves when I was "taken in" by a local guy who recognized a boy that needed some help.  It completely changed my life.

Very good poem. 

My father-in-law is in his 70s and having health problems.  My wife and I + her siblings are going though some of those very things right now as he is having to turn loose of some things.  He was absolutely strong as an ox (played college football in the 50s), and it just kills him that he can't do everything physically he used to.

When I made my first visit to meet my then girlfriend's parents, he pulled a hideous practical joke on me.  At that time they still had barb wire gates in all of the pastures.  We are going into a place to work cattle with a couple of pickup loads of people.  One gate was already open.  He casually tells me to go shut it behind us.  Of course I couldn't pull it tight enough to close it.  My wife's younger siblings just start cackling away laughing at me from the back of the truck.  The harder I try the further I am from getting it closed.  Finally he gets out and bear hugs the darn gate and closes it easily.  His not so subtle way of wordlessly reinforcing the standard "you better be good to my daughter" message.