Inconsistant weight gain...Whats up with this?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cherokee1

I have a question, why would our steer that was gaining over 4 #'s per day all of a sudden over the last 2 weeks (we have a scale and weigh on Wednesdays) go to gaining only .6 per day and then 1 # per day this week?  grain is the same, his manure is fine no corn in it the correct consistancy as discussed in another post.  Hay is the same. They are in a cooler barn from 6 am to 8 to 9 pm (depending on the heat).  We individually feed grain to each calf. This is a smaller framed(shorter but good bone for his height) heavier muscled calf.  I figure maybe he is finishing thus slowed down on gain, but that seems a bit to much. Any ideas?  We have already made weight plus, but to take him in around 1250 was our ultimate goal. 

Thanks for your ideas/opinions.

pigguy

maybe it is getting hot at night and he aint gaining as much and then maybe he is eating a bunch of pasture at night.  how much does he weigh now

OH Breeder

Cherokee1 I am not sure where you are located, but Heat can do alot to the rate of gain of cattle. We always try to have ours close to target weight for state fair in August, it just seems like they slow in the summer months as the temperature rises.

cherokee1

Their pen is a dry lot, no grass.  It has been hot here and quite warm at night.  We have kept them in the cooler until 10:30 a couple nights because of the heat.  We always feed at the same time though.  He left about a can (3.5#'s) of grain un touched last night.  We decided to try to feed the same amount just spread out to 3 times a day instead of 2 per day, just to see what is going to happen.  The steer is starting to put on fat, but he is still hard to the touch.

red

I've had steers that seem to stall out when they reach a certain weight. You say he's starting to put some fat cover on? Maybe he's at his correct weight?
Heat will certainly cause him to stall too. Also make sure the water is fresh & clean. I've been having rat problems & have to fish dead rats out of the water trough sometimes daily. Cattle don't like sharing their water w/ rodents.

Red

knabe

red,

this works for me with rats and squirrels.  put a water basin near where the rats, squirrels are and fill it half full.  i usually put along side a fence with some shelter.  they get in and can't get out.  3 years ago i cleaned out the squirrels from my yard and my neighbors in about a month.  it's a little slow on the death part, but it has such a high kill percentage they don't take any knowledge of traps, bait with them.  the squirrels are finally back as the government killed 2100 coyotes since then on ranchers property at taxpayer expense and the rabbits and squirrels are absolutely exploding.  barn owls really haven't made a dent in the gopher population.  my barn is kinda low profile, so they don't nest there, so i'm gonna have to make a couple owl nests.  they are short lived, but absoluetely voracious gopher eaters.

cherokee1

Red,

I was thinking the same thing maybe he is at his correct weight, but he is far from finished. Starting to put on some fat cover over the ribs but it is hard fat not soft, nothing by his tail head and some down in his cod.  Brisket kinda filling out.  This is the pickiest steer we have EVER had over the 12 plus years we have been raising show steers, also the most nervous away from home it will be interesting to see what county fair will bring with this steer, we have scrapped State fair and are just going to put the money we would have spent there towards a steer for next year.  One of those years you chalk up to experience and not a good experience  :-\ . 

red

I guess, I'd very lightly add some oil to his feed ration. Just mist it on & then mix it into his feed. I've found that mine have liked the cherry flavoring in the oil. But go easy w/ it until he is used to it. If he's picky, it's hard to add new things to their feed!

Red