Infantile vulva

Help Support Steer Planet:

LN

A neighbor brought some replacement heifers to us to AI and a CIDR wouldn't fit inside one of his heifers. I looked a little closer and noticed her vulva was quite smaller than the rest of the heifers. I know infantile vulvas are somewhat common in gilts, but I've never seen a heifer with one. I would imagine it can happen to heifers too. Has anyone seen one before?

The background that I know of these heifers is that they are ~17 months, Angus cross, and from small 1100 lb cows and a small bull.

harley

I'd say it's possible that this heifer is a freemartin.  I'd have her checked.  It would be easy enough for her to be born a twin without anyone knowing.  If she is a freemartin, you'll be wasting your time trying to breed her.  Good luck

LN

Talked to the owner and she is a freemartin. He bought her from a friend knowing that she was a twin to a bull. I guess he'll find out if the seller is truly a friend when he tries to get a refund for the heifer.

Cowboy

Can we say -- "Inteligent Choice" ??

This would fall into one of the life's lesson I would assume!

She would have no uterus -- so tell him to get the grain pail ready and schedule the giant BBQ ! hehe

No puns intended to make any one feel bad -- but that was my guess right off as well!

Terry

LN

I feel sorry for the owner. This was his first set of heifers to buy (6 of them). I think he wanted the heifers as a hobby and was going to go buy a bull to breed just 6 heifers to so we offered to AI them at cost. I guess he needs to go out a buy a "beef cows for dummies" handbook.