Infected Brand

Help Support Steer Planet:

T-Majic

I have a cow that has a really old brand that used to get rubbed raw and scab over. Now she the area is puffed out and infected. Does anyone have advice what to treat it with.

shorthorngirl2010

First suggestion I'd have (mind  you I'm no vet, just going off experience & relating it to other 'similar' wounds), get her in, rinse it out/off & make sure the brand is clean.  I'd then follow it up with Catron; it's an aerosol that we use after cutting bulls & I've used it on the leg of a calf that was attacked by dogs.  Wonderful product that seems to work 99.9% of the time.  I'm pretty sure you have to get it from your vet, as I don't recall seeing it at a local farm store, but it could just be that way in my location as well.  I'll attach a link for info & a picture of the can, just for reference.

Hope it helps!
-Sam

http://www.nelsonwholesale.com/Cattle/Insecticides/Sprays/KMG-Catron-IV-10oz.html

jbzdad

Humans will eventually get a cancer on scars that are repeatedly traumatized... when you look closely at this spot might keep that in mind... (for the curious .. Google " Marjolin's ulcer")