info on cooking feed

Help Support Steer Planet:

oregondad

Looking for any info I can get on cooking feed (corn barley etc..) How much can I feed per day? We are about 69 days till fair, steer is eating 22 pounds per day, how much of this could be fed as a cooked ration? Thanks in advance

red

Most people just use a crockpot or slow cooker to do this in. Add water & let it cook overnight or all day depending on feeding. I think the ratio for water to corn is 2:1.
I'll let the others add information on how much to use but I think it's something that you need to play around with.
Are you adding any extra fat? We had another thread on some of the different types of fats too.

Good luck!

Red

oregondad

Thanks Red, this is small frame steer that is doing very well. He is a picky eater and is getting tired of his feed, been on it for  a long time now. We tried adding oil to his ration, he hated it. We have other steers going that love it. Just looking to try something new. How much should I start with if we cook up some corn, replace 1, 2, 3 pounds of the ration?

Jill

oregondad said:
Thanks Red, this is small frame steer that is doing very well. He is a picky eater and is getting tired of his feed, been on it for  a long time now. We tried adding oil to his ration, he hated it. We have other steers going that love it. Just looking to try something new. How much should I start with if we cook up some corn, replace 1, 2, 3 pounds of the ration?
We don't actually replace any of the ration.  We use one of the big cups, 32oz I think, 1 corn 2 water in a crock pot ever 12 hours.  We put that on top of the ration if we a re trying to pour the fat on we also top that with a cap full of corn gluten (the powder stuff) and a fat product that Suthers makes (I can't think of the name right now I think it is actually a show pig product).