Infrared calf sizes

Help Support Steer Planet:

JandSCattleCo

Just had to pull a calf from a first calf heifer today that was bred to Infrared.  Everyone I have talked to says they had low birthweights and easy calvings with him.  This heifer calf today weights almost 90 lbs!!!!  Has anybody else had any experience with this bull? 
Thanks,
JandSCattleCo

red

(welcome) J&S!

Remeber the cow is 50% of the equation. also how she is fed & environmental conditions. I've heard of birth weights all over the board but mainly mid 80's.

Red

Okie Boy

We have used infrared some. Never on heifers. The calves did not seem overly large, perhaps in the 80-90 pound range. They were very consistantly nice calves, I would like to use him but for the genetics problem.

OH Breeder

Are you talking about the Infared that is a Heat seeker son? I have him in the tank but have never used him. We have always used proven calving ease bulls on heifers. Northern Improvment, Traveler 8607 T510 and gizmo are my favorites. What did you think of the calf from him? What was the heifer you use him on? He is kind of red tinted?

JandSCattleCo

Yeah, thats him.  Alot of people I talked to have used him before on heifers and had calves that looked like dogs.  They said they were 70 or so lbs.  And I know they weigh the calves at birth, so I trust what they said.  The calf is doing well, and when we pulled it, I could have swore it was a bull as large as she was.  The dam is a redneck roan shorthorn and infrared is a red composite (heat seeker x maine/ angus cow) and the calf is solid red with black tinge to her head.  She has good bone and good hair, and looks like a possibility of a show prospect, but then again its too early to tell.