Inside of Steer's ear

Help Support Steer Planet:

Quello

My sons steer has a growth inside of it about the size of a 1.5 gum drops.  I am thinking it maybe a wart.  Any suggestions or comments on what to put on it to get rid of it.

Much aprreciated

farmboy

pull it out. I had a steer with a wart the size of my hand in his ear. I tied his head down in the chute and pulled it out. There might be a little bit of blood but really thats the only thing you can do once they grow.

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

my vet always tells me to crush it with a pair of pliers and then pull it off, as long as it is a wart, this gets the virus in their blood stream so they can fight it off and build an immunity to it. Ive done it several times with sucess

obie105

Woodland Farms said:
my vet always tells me to crush it with a pair of pliers and then pull it off, as long as it is a wart, this gets the virus in their blood stream so they can fight it off and build an immunity to it. Ive done it several times with sucess

Totally agree that is what I have always been told. Sooner the better though because you don't want to get warts poppong up everywhere which can happen. It will be bloody though.

Quello

This may come across as stupid but I am a rookie at this.  Am i going to expect to squeeze real hard and I am gonna go out on a limb and say he is going to get pissed off?  He will let me touch it and move it around with my hands with some light squeezes.  When you say there is gonna be blood how much we talking is he gonna bleed like a stuck pig?  And are my chances real good that it is a wart and not something else?

Thank-You

Woodland Farms Show Cattl

without a picture i cant say for sure its a wart, but the best way to do it is to put him in a chute or between a couple gates so he cant jump around and hurt you or himslef, hes gonna get pissed more than likely but you definatley want to take care of it before it gets worse, tie his head where you can work and grab it with the pliers and squeeze as hard as you can, basically make the two sides touch eachother then twist and pull of. it will bleed a little but nothing major. a little blue coat sprayed on it would help if it started bleeding too bad.

twistedhshowstock

Yeah he will probably get upset, so you need to control him somehow, depending on his size, squeeze shute is the best.  Warts are viral so you need to squeeze it to get the virus in the blood stream so he can build antibodies to eat, another method that works good for helping them build antibodies is to grind the wart and put it in their feed.  I know it makes some people squeemish but feedback works really well.

PSC

there is blood stop powded  2.00 not much we cut them off and feed them back to them that way they dont come back vet say let them eat them and it works

Gargan

twistedhshowstock said:
another method that works good for helping them build antibodies is to grind the wart and put it in their feed.  I know it makes some people squeemish but feedback works really well.

wonder if this works for humans? mite be good top dressing on cherrios..lol.

bart

If it is a wart? Squeeze it with a pair of pliers and twist. put some hay and the wart in a balling gun and give it to him. He is not going to just eat it. These cattle are smarter than that. (clapping)
I wait unit they have a nice head on them.

shortii

I agree that chances are that it is a wart and to squeeze it  than pull it off is the correct thing to do. But, if you have recently put a tag in the steer and it is swelled up it could be an infection and you should call the vet.

tcf

it also helps if you tie a string on a q-tip and drop it in your semen tank then press it on their first. they just fight less if it is a little frozen.