Interesting Angus bull...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

My friend told me about this Angus bull and thought he would work on many cows and has a outcross pedigree. I thought he looked unique and might work well on cows needing downsizing and thickening up too. I would like some opinions.

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN1151&lang=EN

Show Dad

T - The Irish bull is a smaller (Original Angus) frame size. And I believe he is a red gene carrier. He is thick and well footed. I would think with the current 1680 problem that bulls like this will see use. I am thinking of using him once some EPD numbers come in (year or two).

stick

Telos, here's a link to the Genex magazine with an article on four new bulls from Ireland.

http://genex.crinet.com/publication36/BeefHORIZONS

Telos

Here is the other bull that Justin liked the best.

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1AN1150&lang=EN

Bawndoh

Genex has 4 Scottish bulls.  Three black, one red.  The first black bull that was posted on here is a frame 6.  So wont necessarily frame your cows down, but will add TRUE thickness and dimension.
Other bulls are frame 5.5-6.  They are just so massivly wide based and thick they look small framed.  IMO, that is what all beef animals should look like.  Seems these days we are not raising beef, but animals who happen to be able to eat grain and hay and eventually make beef.

OH Breeder

Bawndoh said:
Genex has 4 Scottish bulls.  Three black, one red.  The first black bull that was posted on here is a frame 6.  So wont necessarily frame your cows down, but will add TRUE thickness and dimension.
Other bulls are frame 5.5-6.  They are just so massivly wide based and thick they look small framed.  IMO, that is what all beef animals should look like.  Seems these days we are not raising beef, but animals who happen to be able to eat grain and hay and eventually make beef.
I really like the red one. I think he would click with some of our larger bred Shorthorn females. Nice.

justintime

I toured several leading Angus herds in Britain in June, as well as several Shorthorn herds as well. I also attended the Angus show at the Royal Highland show in Edinburgh which is the biggest show in Scotland. Personally I found that all the cattle in Britain to be larger framed than most here in N America. There were several Irish Angus herds at the Royal Highland show and they were also big framed , with thickness and meat. Several cows in the mature cow classes weighed in excess of 2000 lbs with some close to 2200 lb. The bull that won this show was a long yearling bull that weighed over a ton as well.  He was a very good bull.... just way to big framed for over here. I visited one herd that had the biggest and some of the best Angus I have ever seen. Very impressive cattle , but bigger framed.

I do not remember the herd names of the bulls pictured in these AI catalogs, so they may be smaller framed, but I would think that they may be bigger than we think because the Brits really like their cattle bigger than we do.

Bawndoh

Actual Data on these bulls.  If anybody has looked in the Beef Horizons, they will have notised Brad Johnson standing right beside one of the cows, she is massive, but not tall.  More of an idea of the frame scoring. 

"From Brad Johnson -- Physical Information on the Scottish Bulls.

Dunlouise Cortachy Boy D137
Birth weight 73 lbs.
400 day weight 1188 lbs.
Scrotal 400 days 42cm
Eye muscle 14.46 sq inches
IMF 5.90
estimated frame score: 5.0

Dunlouise Commander Bond F176
Birth weight 66 lbs.
200 day weight 635 lbs.
estimated frame score: 6.0

Dunlouise Jipsey Earl E161
Birth weight 78 lbs.
400 day weight 1100 lbs.
estimated frame score: 5.0

Dunlouise Red Native
Birth weight 64 lbs.
200 day weight 649 lbs.
9 month Scrotal 39cm
estimated frame score: 5.5"

tama

Telos glad to see this subject come up! Also appreciate Bawdoh's factual info! Funny when I saw genex catalog the 1st thing I wondered was how the Scottish bulls compared to Lowline framewise.And also what realtime cattle feeders thought of these bulls. Justtintime did you get a chance to chat with Brits on birth weight etc? I applaud Genex and look forward to more "new blood"