interesting low input crossbred, nguni

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/nguni/

no, this link is not a dig.

Nguni cattle are less prone to dystocia, this being ascribed to their sloping rumps, small uterus and low birth mass.

so a small uterus can be selected for?  isn't it kinda stretchy?  there just has to be a study on disparity between a pelvic measurement and uterus and ratios.

OH Breeder

knabe said:
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/nguni/

no, this link is not a dig.

Nguni cattle are less prone to dystocia, this being ascribed to their sloping rumps, small uterus and low birth mass.

so a small uterus can be selected for?  isn't it kinda stretchy?  there just has to be a study on disparity between a pelvic measurement and uterus and ratios.

I am with you on this one. The uterus is just a large muscle that stretches to accomodate the calf size. Or least that is how I see it. I am not sure that a small uterus would equate to small birthweight. I didn't know that a small uterus decreased calf growth or some how influenced B.W.

knabe

in plants in the meristem, constriction causes developmental differences (and can easily be modeled and reproduced with fractals), internode length, and floral arrangements and a cascade of development issues.  i can't see that it wouldn't be any different in animals.

here's an overly dense link in plants.  somewhere there are little movies of this that are pretty neat.

TJ

These cattle are very similar in size to a typical Lowline.  I bet the calves are just smaller simply because it is a smaller breed & it has nothing to do with the size of the uterus, but I could be wrong.  

Latest posts