Interesting reading on Sullivan flyer !!!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mill Iron A

I don't mean to sound so harsh but I do feel like you guys are asking for an honest opinion on Shorthorn cattles current market acceptance to commercial cattlemen and the above written is my opinion on that matter.  Now I do  think they do well in the show ring and have made people lots of money and I'm not knocking that.  I just wanted to be clear that you were the ones asking about commercial cattle.

OKshorthorn

Have any of you all ever thought about all of this bull and EPD crap contrasted to humans? I'm sure many of you have brothers or sisters, did you all hit growth spurts at the same age, have the same body fat percentage on essentially the same diet growing up? My brother is 2 years younger than me, I weighed 8.6 pounds at birth, he was 6.7 pounds. When we were younger, he was "husky" and I was tall and lean, now he is lean but still shorter than me and I, well, i'm an easy fleshing type! He can eat whatever he wants and never gains a pound, I have to watch what I eat every day. Same genetics. A good friend of mine has a mother that is very easy fleshing, his dad tall and skinny, he is tall and skinny along with one of his sisters, the other sister short and "stocky."

My point is this. Sure there are siblings out there that all look exactly alike, same build, same height, everything, while others are extremely diverse. Why are we so critical about a stupid EPD number that we all agree are bogus more times than not! It drives me crazy. There is absolutly no way of knowing for sure how big, little, large, small, gigantic, tiny a calf is going to be at birth. It's not possible. We do not have the technology to do it. That is why we show cattle, because every single one of them is different. If you can not decide for yourself by a cows 3rd calf is she has larger than normal calves, has them easily, or struggles even with smaller calves, and make an educated decision on how to breed her you don't need, or should I say deserve, to be in the cattle businss. Calving issues are a problem for the people who want to find a problem and need there to be a problem to make themselves feel better about their operation. For everyone else, it seems to be working out just fine.

The "commercial cattlemen wont have anything to do with shorthorn BW's" line is such a load of BS that it really makes me question motives of the people continuing to say it. I have had trouble calving with 1 shorthorn bull that had a high BW, ONE, and we have used the popular genetics a lot, that 1 bull has had more unnassisted births than pulls by a margin of 4 to 1 (only have had 5 calves out of him.) I have had more calving problems with lower BW bulls.

We are all salesmen and women are we not? If you can and want to sell your cattle to someone based on your cattles' calving ease, and the rest of the breed is inferior to yours, and you can find someone to eat what you are feeding them, power to you. But for other breeders that are selling their cattle based on things like performance and growth, why is that threatening to some? Do you secretly want to be able to sell your cattle with the pitch of "National Champion" or "2 time National Champion" or "3 time National Champion" and the best way to combat that is to attempt to belittle their program with the only thing you can, a BW EPD that some computer figures up?

I guess I may be in the minority here, but my goal every year is to produce a product that people want to buy and I don't care what my neighbor does, or the guy in the next town, much less 5 states over, it simply does not affect my daily life. If the success of others affects you to the degree that I feel it does to some on here, I truly feel sorry for you. If we sell a $1,500 calf and someone else sells a $5,000 calf that I believe was better, I don't go around saying degrading things about my competitor to prospective customers, I go back to work and try to produce a better product to put in front of the customer the next year. Discussion of topic is one thing, having the passion of your product and defending it is one thing, but to continue to peck at specific breeders of the breed you are in simply because of their success is pathetic. Go back to work and produce something someone wants to buy, go back to work and put a calf on the ground that everyone is talking about going into Denver. Put up, or shut up.

I'll end my rant with a quote. "Up to a point a mans life is shaped by environment, heredity, and the movements and changes in the world about him. Then there comes a time when it lies within his grasp to shape the clay of his life into the sort of thing he wishes to be. Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has within his power to say, This i am today, that I will be tomorrow"

D

dogger

In the real world u raise what u can sell and what u like.congrats to people who flourish and do well. A lot of great shorty breeders  too bad a couple bad apples are so vocal on here. I wonder how many cattle they sell a year that the public want to buy.......

kfacres

frostback said:
If you have some time, and really want to know go to this link put in the outfits herd name they use when naming calves and you should get the animals they own.
http://search.shorthorn.org/default.aspx

What if they don't register anything, or very few?  Some people think that registration papers are a waste of money-- I mean seriously- do you get paid for that piece of paper- when you take that feeder calf to the sale barn if it has papers- what pure VALUE does that peice of paper have?  I know MANY people- who keep the bare minimum papered for a show string- and say piss on the rest: who cares what's on that paper pedigree wise-- just so they have one to show when attending exhibiting somewhere.  

What if the operation raises commercial crossbred cows- and just has a few Shorthorns to tinker around with?

If this post, and the above post are about me---  you'll find somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-35 Shorthorn and shorthorn plus cattle registered on the ASA site.  What you won't find- is our Red Angus bull that we've bred to over 300 beef and dairy (about half and half) heifers since the very early spring of 2009, or anything about any of the Angus based, or commercial shorthorn cows (or very few of them).  That's three years-- ave 100 heifers a year.. HOW MANY PEOPLE DO THAT- 5 Steer Planeteers maybe?

In regards to the post above your's Frosty:  What if people prefer not to sell to anyone other than market?  I sell the piss out of breeding stock in our sheep flock- and quite honestly get so tired of the *****ing, moaning, groaning, complaining, and general BULL **** that buyers do CONSTANTLY.  To give you an idea:  We have lambed as many as 80 ewes in a year- give or take 135% weaning rate per ewe: is a result of around 108 lambs.   Now, do this for a couple of years-- and you rack up the number of lambs born- and sold.  IN MY 19 years raising sheep (12 in this breed) I have not sold a EWE LAMB to market since 2003. Now, in the last 9 years- we have not had over 100 lambs a year: lets use 70, just to keep it simple:  (aprx 35 ewe lambs X 9 years equals: 315 ewe lambs.  Keep in mind, I said I haven't sold a ewe lamb to market.. Which means, that 315 have either gotten sold as breeding stock- or kept for replacements.  I won't go into how many ram lambs I've sold- but I'll say that up until the spring of 2010- I had shipped 5 ram lambs- 3 QQ's, and two that I had just gotten tired of feeding about the third week of July in '09 (luck would have it someone would call the next week wanting one).  How many of you have raised, and sold zero of your last 315 heifer calves?

What I'm getting at is: I've sold a hell of alot of breeding sheep- actually sold into 18 states and Canada--  plus sent some semen to Mexico: I've also dealt with a lot of people.  This set of genetics have produced champions at about 10 state fairs and National shows- high sellers and champions at consignment sales from New York to Iowa- and a set of very competitive National Futurity Contest ewe lambs (would have won it in '09 if the girl would have turned in her first double points sheet).  Just last fall- nearly 40% of the sheep shown in our National Show in Louisville- traced to our genetics within 3 generations.  

I can confidently say-- I'm just about done selling sheep breeding stock privately, or in public auction- and intend to send the first bunch of ewe lambs to market this spring: why?  I'm tired of dealing with the people- the buyers, the potential buyers, and just in general-- a pool of breeders.  

When we bought my first Shorthorn in 2004 (From a Steerplanet member-- not at the time though)- and got my first calf 2 years later- and then about a year and a half later decided I was serious enough into them to keep them around:

I DECIDED, I WOULD NOT PUT THIS HASSLE INTO MY LIFE- MOST CERTAINLY NOT- During the last several years- this has proved a wise choice.  The shorthorn breed is bull of *****ers, moaners, and groaners..  bull of people who cannot use their head, full of trend chasers- cliques, banner Targeters, and plenty of FAKE MONEY-- YES I WENT THERE.  I don't want any part of it!

We take every calf to the sale barn and sell it as a feeder; that we do not keep for a replacement- or decide to feed out for personal or local consumption.  We do this so we don't have to deal with the drama and BULL **** that comes after a sale...  It doesn't matter who it is, what they buy- or how they get it...  At some point, one party or the other will get mad, toes stepped on, or feelings hurt.  The shear number of people who just like to complain- astonish me.  I've had people buy ram lambs- tell me how much they suck-- until the first lambs arrive-- then they love him-- about the next breeding season-- they're down on him again cuz his lambs didn't grow-- then about Louisville time-- they're so high on him again-- a daughter wins her class-- and now they're going to change the breed forever with that ram...

Buyers are hard to please-- and I prefer not to have any...  Sale barn it-- and forget about it...

I imagine, someone will report this post to Jason-- which is cool-- go ahead.. and if he wants to remove it, block, or ban me.. So be it.. I don't really give a damn.  I like getting on here and getting people's feathers all ruffled-- I think it's funny ****.  People are so lacking when it comes to doing something different- and being questioned about why they won't.  So guess what???  You can kiss it... and for the record: I wouldn't use a SULL Bull-- if he purchased the damn thing from me for a million dollars, and moved in with me.  I'm a hard person to get along with, and a bigger ******* online...

Jody
618-322-2582 -call if you want to...

knabe

there is only one drama colon on steer planet.  logic dictates we overlook in ourselves what we hate most in others.

thunderdownunder

JTM said:
Gonewest, one of the things you said that I disagree with. You said to Sue, "there is nothing that your breed can provide that isn't already being provided in black hided cattle". You must know you opened up a can of worms with that one ehh?  (argue) Now I realize that earlier you and Chandler were haggling me for saying that calves that do well on grass and hay will do really good on grain, and I stand by my statement, but your above statement I have to bring into question. I don't know of a breed with as much commercial "potential" as the Shorthorn breed right now. Only Angus compares to Shorthorns in marbling and choice carcasses. Add in excellent docility for feedlots on top of the marbling, tenderness, and choice carcasses. What breed can do that? Then, what breed can prove that they have these traits? Shorthorn, because they are not black. The only maternal breed with these traits that you can compare to Shorthorns are the Angus. One has docility and the other has lower birthweights. Although we are getting some good SH bulls where that is not a problem. So what would make more sense? Keep breeding Angus to Angus or cross them with a breed that will maintain or improve these traits along with hybrid vigor?

Shorthorns also have GROWTH. Well, they're supposed to.... some people have "moderated" too much, to the point they're not moderate, just midget.

dogger said:
In the real world u raise what u can sell and what u like.congrats to people who flourish and do well. A lot of great shorty breeders  too bad a couple bad apples are so vocal on here. I wonder how many cattle they sell a year that the public want to buy.......

(clapping)

frostback

If you dont register anything you dont get EPDs so no I was not talking about your crossbred unregistered cows. People were talking about EPDs all through this post so I was answering them.

mark tenenbaum

At the same time-I applaud Sullivan for going around and buying ALOT-of new cows (like the dispersal in Md-Ray Edigers) etc. I am very familiar with that herd per se-as I lived within 30 miles of them.And visited alot from 1990 through the late 2000s Although they would be considered pretty plain  and maybe sloppy brisket-fronted compared to Sullivans good ones,and not a tremendous amount of imagination in thier breeding :(milker-to JH Mikes Cujo,to Rockdale Dreamboy,a very good AND MEAN Dextro Son from my buddy TYRONE Sewell,maybe a little UB KAMALLA, the huge fronted- shouldered Enticer son from Allens,,Jakes Pride,a son,double stuff etc,the herd had decent EPDS,and I hope to SEE THEM IN PEDIGREES IN DUNLAP SOON-does me proud. ;) O0

Davis Shorthorns

trevorgreycattleco said:
BTW tdu, I think the Doc Clark bull bred around 30 cows. Dont hold me to a exact number but he bred cows in one of the hottest summers on record. Just a example of a animal that held up well, did his job and then as a bonus did well in Denver. Not the end all be all but still pretty cool.

Doc clark ran on all my 15 head of cows this summer until around the first part of aug.  He got all but one of them bred and she was already bred.  We had a horrible year up here weather wise, he ran on a 80 acre pasture that takes 3 people 4 hrs just to walk the perimeter.  He was not moving his best in the show, but he also hasn't had ANY kind of additive or medication to help him walk better.  When we were getting him ready for Denver he was in a mud lot not some nice paddock.  I work full time and I have no one else to help with him so the only time that I could really work with him was for about 45 min during the evenings and on the weekend with the exception of after Christmas I had a week off that I worked with him alot.  Oh and no he didn't have much hair well compared to alot of the other bulls out there.  That bull hasn't seen a fan since I have had him.  I took him to Denver planning on being cannon fodder for all the "big boys".  He made alot of friends out there and I enjoyed very much exhibiting him along side all of the other bulls that were there.  I do believe that he was the most naturally muscular bull in the shorthorn show.  I might be just a bit partisan on that one though (lol).  I can defiantly say that for a bull that IS NOT A SHOW BULL presented himself better than I ever could have expected at Denver.  If you have any questions about the bull just let me know and I will be happy to answer any that you have. 

r.n.reed

Chandler said:
r.n.reed said:
I will correct my mistake,thank you for calling that to my attention.

Im sorry to see you say that Mr. Kaper,  I couldn't have agreed with you more.   
Chandler,I am sorry you are disapointed.I do not begrudge someone elses success in a business venture and what someone else does or the legacy they leave has no impact on my personal goals or the direction I am taking my herd and a very small impact on its success.

sue

r.n.reed said:
I think the feeding industry is sending different signals.I also find it hard to believe with todays feed costs someone is still touting maximum performance.

I agree. no one brags about what they saved?

GONEWEST

sue said:
r.n.reed said:
I think the feeding industry is sending different signals.I also find it hard to believe with todays feed costs someone is still touting maximum performance.

It's because you don't save money with mediocre performing cattle when 5 weight steers near $2.00 a pound.

mark tenenbaum

GONEWEST said:
sue said:
r.n.reed said:

It's because you don't save money with mediocre performing cattle when 5 weight steers near $2.00 a pound. /// No-thats when everbody makes money-and although my cattle arent very big now-they dam sure used to be-I had cows over 2000 pounds and a bull I used Deertrail Awesome was over 3500-UB Mad Max-one I raised was up around 2800-had a couple llegit 850 pound 205 wt bulls etc-Other than the Charolais-Shorthorns were by far the biggest cattle out there-including the likes of Grubbs Mckensie-so in a feedlot-or any kind of situation where there are ample amounts of sustenance-dont hit me with your lame cliches about performance junior.The scrubby cull Shorthorn and other british mutts out there pack the pounds and then some-weather they are large framed or not.

GONEWEST

mark tenenbaum said:
GONEWEST said:
sue said:
r.n.reed said:

It's because you don't save money with mediocre performing cattle when 5 weight steers near $2.00 a pound. /// No-thats when everbody makes money-and although my cattle arent very big now-they dam sure used to be-I had cows over 2000 pounds and a bull I used Deertrail Awesome was over 3500-UB Mad Max-one I raised was up around 2800-had a couple llegit 850 pound 205 wt bulls etc-Other than the Charolais-Shorthorns were by far the biggest cattle out there-including the likes of Grubbs Mckensie-so in a feedlot-or any kind of situation where there are ample amounts of sustenance-dont hit me with your lame cliches about performance junior.The scrubby cull Shorthorn and other british mutts out there pack the pounds and then some-weather they are large framed or not.

Mark, Junior? Really?  (clapping)  (lol)  ;D

Now you don't REALLY want to talk about who has raised the highest weaning weight calves do you? I mean like substantiated, certified, witnessed, even notarized records, do you?

And by those  british mutts packing on the pounds do you mean all those big bruiser 1000 pound yearling bulls like in the Loving catalog Sue mentioned? Hmm?  (lol)

And it's, WHETHER not weather. Weather is like when is snows.Whether is like a choice between two things.  It's not really a dis to you, it's just that when people want to talk about being so smart and yet can't seem to get a good handle on the English language........................well...............it just looks bad.

nate53

How many cattle actually get slaughtered at a year of age?
Are high performance cattle high performance if momma doesn't calve every year or doesn't make it to 7, 8, 9, 12 years old and calve every year? 
It's not as simple as more lbs. = more dollars. (anybody hear of quality and premiums), if it was why not just raise Charolais and be done with it
1500 lb. animals are to big for the packing industry, they don't want them.
The consumers want quality and consistency.
Feeders like the framier calves - for the potential for more growth before finished, seems the fleshy ones always are a bit cheaper (at the salebarn)
The commercial sector likes growthy bulls but they don't like huge cows, you just about need a maternal herd and a terminal herd
Replacement female cost are the biggest cost for the cow calf man, do the high performance females hold up?
When I look at the $EN values in the Angus breed, the high $EN's are always with the smaller (not dinks) cows
I would re comend several like minded breeders get together and feed out their calves till slaughter (and get real performance data to backup their programs with).  Large, Small and everything in between

GONEWEST I would agree with you that the shorthorns possess nothing that can't be found in the Angus (massive variety of different type of genetics for every climate and condition), but they are the best choice IMO to compliment the Angus breed in a commercial maternal setting.  Also lets face it the docility of the avg. shorthorn vrs. avg. Angus is a little lopsided. 

Shorthorns need to quit trying to compete with Angus and focus on getting a message across on how the shorthorn breed can compliment the predominantly Angus cow herd in this country.  Angus isn't going away. 

Sullivans are the best at what they do - I don't know much about them but I can clearly see they know the show industry and have great looking cattle!  But I would say that Shorthorn's as a whole do not need to be bigger, maybe better quality, more consistent, but not bigger! :eek:

r.n.reed

Chambero had an example on the signals I am talking about on the Hide discrimination post a couple weeks ago.In summary he said the feedlot buyers in his area were wanting cattle that could finish at 1200# as it was to expensive to take them to 1300.And here is something that might interest you gonewest,He said there was a big pushback on black SIMMI'S

showcat

Go look at the commercial cattle producer cattle in states like s.d. Or nebraska , it's a moderate cow with a frame 6 or even 7 frame bull. Most of the shorthorn cattle are good sized ,but the majority of the shorthorn yard cattle are way too small for real world beef production. When your herd sire is starting to look like your feeder cattle your in trouble. Can you imagine a 4 or 5 frame bull on a set of comm. Black cows.... The feedlots hate the puds.  Folks it is plain as day. Go to a large feedlot and look around.they will tell you what is wanted in the beef industry. To many breeders with 20 cows  that dont live close to a true beef production state  and too many agendas  on this site. If u want to raise small framed cattle move to mont or wy, or raise club calves. I think the club calves have proved that small frame cattle just do not have the stretch to gain.

kfacres

showcat said:
Go look at the commercial cattle producer cattle in states like s.d. Or nebraska , it's a moderate cow with a frame 6 or even 7 frame bull. Most of the shorthorn cattle are good sized ,but the majority of the shorthorn yard cattle are way too small for real world beef production. When your herd sire is starting to look like your feeder cattle your in trouble. Can you imagine a 4 or 5 frame bull on a set of comm. Black cows.... The feedlots hate the puds.   Folks it is plain as day. Go to a large feedlot and look around.they will tell you what is wanted in the beef industry. To many breeders with 20 cows  that dont live close to a true beef production state  and too many agendas  on this site. If u want to raise small framed cattle move to mont or wy, or raise club calves. I think the club calves have proved that small frame cattle just do not have the stretch to gain.

Is it a question of ABILITY to GAIN-----------------

OR

Cost to GET GAIN-----------
????????????

Latest posts