internal marbling

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ms Ray

Is there a way to get internal marbling by feed and not just genetics?  We have had high yield grade that have been select- before. 

RidinHeifer

Typically, the higher quality grade you have the poorer yield grade.  This only to a certain extent, but still fairly consistent

TJR

Several years ago work was done at U of Illinois and U of Neb dealing with enhancing marbling. The gist was starch (i.e. corn) at around 100 days of age could greatily increase the amount of marbling at typical slaughter wts.  That was for feedlot cattle. They were getting old line, yellow hi % simmis to grade 80%  choice, 80% YG 1 & 2 at 13-14 m0 of age.  They weaned at around 100 days of age and put them on a high starch diet. Interesting stuff.

willow

Ms Ray said:
Is there a way to get internal marbling by feed and not just genetics?  We have had high yield grade that have been select- before. 
I am sure you probably already know, but under times of stress the marbling is the first thing to go....

CRS

My vet and I have this talk every July/August when the steers are finishing.  Feed more Barley, because when the Barley is broke down it is stored differently and is stored in the muscle as fat or marbling.  The other grains are great for putting finish on the carcass, but not marbling, most of the commercial rations use Barley for this very reason.

Latest posts