Internet Bidding Pasture Sales

Help Support Steer Planet:

cpubarn

I was wondering what you have been finding for internet bidding with pasture sales.  I personally really like the site that "Common Sense" has for internet bidding and standard phone bidding as well.

For a low budget opperation like mine you can see at what price level the calves are as the sale is to begin.  I don't look forward to the Labor Day when I call around and see where a bunch of these calves are at, then call back with bids one one or two.  Then when you bid $$$$, and the bid comes back to you 3 hours later at $$,$$$ you don't have to explain to the heartbroken kid that you only made one bid.  It looks like the proxy bidding would sure help the cell phone charges for the owners too.

So what does everyone think?

I am not afilliated with www.clubcalfparadise.com, I didn't even visit this year yet. I just like to work with the technologies.  What other sales have new ideas this year?

cpubarn

JSchroeder

That is one heck of a well run sale site.  Knowing the price of a calf and having it updated regularly is about as much as you can hope for from the perpetually secretive show steer bidding process.  The only thing I would even think about improving about it is to allow Internet bidding for pre-approved buyers.

I've been pushing guys to do something like that for a while but didn't have the steers to do it.  Brad Hook has been doing something similar with the Pasture to Purple setup but he didn't do the bid off structure.

That being said, I would be VERY cautious about placing a proxy bid on a show steer.

red

the only thing i'd like to see on CCP is the time & date of the last bids. That way you knew how up to date they are.

I do tip my hat off to Juli & Brad. i know Juli has been running her butt off!

Red

TJ

CCP is very well done.  In a perfect world, I like Red, would prefer to see the date & time of the last bid.  Taking it one step further, I would also prefer to see bidder numbers too.  And going even 1 more step further, post the actual bidders who placed a bid (whether they purchased or not) beside the numbers after the sale.   

Red, I am glad to see that you are doing better! 

TJ

Shebet21 said:
If you're a registered bidder and login to the bidding site, you can see what bidder number is in on each calf.

Thanks for pointing that out.  It's obvious that I am not a registered bidder since I didn't know that, but I think that they are doing the right thing by posting the bidder numbers for the other bidders to see.

They also have some nice looking calves in that sale.   

common sense

Hey thanks you guys!  I just wanted to point out that the bids on the site are "real time" and always current.  When someone enters a proxy bid, we do not even know that a proxy has been entered.  We had the site designed that way to maintain the integrity of the auction.  I like the idea of knowing the dates that each bidder places a bid.  We have some tweaking to do so look for that next year possibly.  I just like the idea that you can watch the bidding.  It seemed like the most credible way to do this sale and is much more like sitting at an actual auction.

Jill

I think the date and time is a great idea, don't mind the bidder number, but I can tell you as a bidder I a lot of times don't want it broadcast what I am bidding on an animal, that is between the seller and buyer and really no one elses business as long as it is a legitimate bid.

JSchroeder

Did Stephanie Cronin do the dynamic stuff or did you have somebody else do that part?

edit:I didn't notice the URL of the bidding part.  Well done all around.

TJ

Jill said:
I think the date and time is a great idea, don't mind the bidder number, but I can tell you as a bidder I a lot of times don't want it broadcast what I am bidding on an animal, that is between the seller and buyer and really no one elses business as long as it is a legitimate bid.

In some Ebay auctions the indentities are hidden until after the sale & only then are they revealed.  I know some people don't want others knowing what they are bidding on or how much they bid, but from a sellers stand point, it would be a BIG selling point, at least it would in my mind.   

Anyway, CCP is as nice an online bid off sale as I have seen.  I'm impressed, in more ways than just one. 

dori36

common sense said:
Hey thanks you guys!  I just wanted to point out that the bids on the site are "real time" and always current.  When someone enters a proxy bid, we do not even know that a proxy has been entered.  We had the site designed that way to maintain the integrity of the auction.  I like the idea of knowing the dates that each bidder places a bid.  We have some tweaking to do so look for that next year possibly.  I just like the idea that you can watch the bidding.  It seemed like the most credible way to do this sale and is much more like sitting at an actual auction.

I really like your site and the bidding process.  As you probably know, I have a site where people can advertise Lowline cattle, semen/embryos, equipment, and services for sale.  I've been somewhat curious about hosting an auction/bid type site but haven't done it because of the payment process when the cattle don't belong to the owner of the site.  So, my question is do you have to post a bond as a livestock agent in compliance with Packer and Stockyards Act/rules?  I haven't wanted to actually become an "Agent" with all the legal possibilities that entails.  If you're willing to share your experience with me, I'd sure appreciate it.  If you're more comfortable emailing me privately, I understand and look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks!!

TJ

dori36 said:
common sense said:

I really like your site and the bidding process.  As you probably know, I have a site where people can advertise Lowline cattle, semen/embryos, equipment, and services for sale.  I've been somewhat curious about hosting an auction/bid type site but haven't done it because of the payment process when the cattle don't belong to the owner of the site.  So, my question is do you have to post a bond as a livestock agent in compliance with Packer and Stockyards Act/rules?  I haven't wanted to actually become an "Agent" with all the legal possibilities that entails.  If you're willing to share your experience with me, I'd sure appreciate it.  If you're more comfortable emailing me privately, I understand and look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks!!

I'm not saying that it wouldn't/couldn't work, but the southwest association tried to have an ebay type auction last year & I heard it didn't turn out so well.  I almost think to make the online auction work, you would need to have all the cattle gathered in one location and allow inspections/in person bids... something like CCP is doing or something like the National Sale (online & in person bidding).  But, that is JMHO & I might be wrong.

If I did do it, videos are a must. 

dori36

From TJ:  <<I'm not saying that it wouldn't/couldn't work, but the southwest association tried to have an ebay type auction last year & I heard it didn't turn out so well.  I almost think to make the online auction work, you would need to have all the cattle gathered in one location and allow inspections/in person bids... something like CCP is doing or something like the National Sale (online & in person bidding).  But, that is JMHO & I might be wrong.

If I did do it, videos are a must. >>

Yes, I remember SLABA's internet bid based sale.  I wondered at the time how they also got around the legality of being an agent or who, if anyone, posted the bond.  That's my question - not "how to do an internet auction", but what is CCP doing about the status of Agent.  I think if you collect money on cattle that aren't yours, with the responsibility of paying owners from your own account, you 'have' to be a legal Agent, as per Packer and Stockyards  US Gov't regulations.  As far as more Lowline auctions go, I don't think there is room for any more.  I also don't think SLABA had an advertising plan in place so lots of "outsiders", ie buyers that didn't own Lowlines at the time, didn't even knew about it.  I don't really want to do an auction, I just want to know how the Agent thing is being handled in case I ever did want to do one.

cpubarn

When I first saw how CCP did the online bidding, I thought it was great because it could mix old and new technologies.  I presume that "common sense" didn't want to give up any sales just to be on the internet.  This way she can mix telephone, in person and internet bidding.  Now I hope that people can call her less (it will probably take time for the users to learn the new systems).  Plus she provides everyone the ability to follow along.

Another thing I liked was that results of some sales were posted somewhere.  This sale put the final numbers up, but no buyer names in the past.  That way I can know if I have any business stopping next year.  In this case she had calves in all ranges.

My only complaint this year is that the only blue roan doesn't have a picture as of the last time I checked.  Maybe Cowboy can e-mail me one.

I wish you good luck with the techonogies, I am sure there will be challenges as full implentation occurs.  I will admit my prejudice up front, I think that mixing the internet into the traditional auction will give the buyer and seller the best of both worlds.  I still like to go see the cows.  This way I can be home for the auction on the weekend or Holiday.

Mark