Internet Livestock auctions- opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I've watched several live TV auctions over the past couple of months. It is a nice warm way of seeing a cattle auction from the comfort of your own home. But I do see problems with them.
Several I've watched the sound has been terrible. Either very muffled or cutting out. Watched some from Iowa this week & they had the camera angle placed so that all you really saw was the exhibitor's back. Others like DeRouchey's was very easy to watch because it covered the entire sale ring.
One thing that I did notice at quite a few I've watched is that the internet buyers are at a disadvantage. They have to turn in their bids very quickly & at times the bids aren't even recognised.
Just wanted to open the discussion on what you thought the pros & cons of internet auctions were?

Red

brahmergirl

Just not being there.  That is what bothers me!  I couldn't buy anything off of one of those because for me, that's half of the excitement is being there!  It's almost like "home shopping network for cattle". 

But I do enjoy watching them on RFD!  I like to see what everything brings.

showcattlegal

That's the first one i have ever seen that they didn't take the bids, they weren't real helpfull with the internet bids. Denver and other sales they would give a lil bit more time so they could get all the bids. I bought on the internet during the sidwells sale but i looked at the cattle before. I just couldn't make it back. I think it's a good thing for the weather if you can't get there because of the storms.

Lacey

Jill

I think they are an absolutely wonderful service.  I have been able to watch alot of sales that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise.  I think the auctioneers are going to have to slow down some and make sure the internet has an opportunity to bid.  It isn't like sitting in the seats where your reaction time is live, it takes a little longer to figure out what they are on.  I think overall it is a huge asset for everyone, buyer and seller alike.

genes

I guess an advantage might be being able to use them as a way to "shop around" a bit before you go to a sale wher you are actually looking at buying.  Like see some comparable cattle go and get a feel for it, which you might not be able to do if you don't have that in your area.  And really, I guess if you have to be an absentee bidder, the more info the better.

But I thought half of the point of auctions was the BSing with a (complimentary!) coffee in hand.  Maybe they need to have live chat for the internet fence sitters.

RSC

Cathy,

I think the video auction services are only getting started and the quality will get better.  I have been looking into helping a company book more PB or breed sales.  The Gal that sells for them is the Sister of a very close cattle friend of mine.

They are kicking off a new twist for video auctions that should fit  very well for the club calf or PB business.  My friend is Jamie Fred(Freds Char & Angus Ranch)  They had their first private Treaty bid-off last year and this year they are going to use an online service for their sale.  This is the first time doing this so I am sure it will only get better.

All lots will be listed on line and you have the option to bid at any time with the option to put in a proxy bid so that you don't have to bump each bid as they come in.  All lots will have a short individual  video taken so that if you don't have a chance to viset the Ranch you can still check out the cattle.

To check out his cattle sale go to www.dvacountry.com and click on the Fred link.  The data and videos of each lot is not yet completed but will be up soon.  Jamie has Maines, Angus and Char Bulls and Females for sale. 

Let me know what you think,

RSC

red

Tony, checked it out but nothing on for Fred Ranch. There is something similar I get from ET Cows, where you bid during a certain window on the internet. It's amazing at the strides that are being taken & the opportunities.
genes, do like Gidget & I do &  have an instant message session going & sit down w/ a cup of hot cocoa & popcorn & you really don't miss the cold & mud at the sale.

Red

RSC

red said:
Tony, checked it out but nothing on for Fred Ranch. There is something similar I get from ET Cows, where you bid during a certain window on the internet. It's amazing at the strides that are being taken & the opportunities.
genes, do like Gidget & I do &  have an instant message session going & sit down w/ a cup of hot cocoa & popcorn & you really don't miss the cold & mud at the sale.

Red

Cathy,  They are listed on there but don't have the lot info or individual videos up yet.  Taking the pictures today, I believe!

Thanks,
RSC

Latest posts