Shorthorns to cal poly and back
Maines
Crosses of anything for show steers
Buying crop land and turning it into pasture
The cull pen
All the students that came through
What he measured and cut
cloning, and sending them to south america, and the south american market
lots to cover, but obviously format not suitable.
maybe a book or a movie:)
Etc

Gargan

It takes a ton of discipline to have a vision, take the initiative to follow it and stay on that path for so many years.  Hats off to OCC

mark tenenbaum

mark tenenbaum said:
Man you got that right-Thats ten lifetimes of breeding INOVATIONS- and it would seem that they were pretty low key about it all-He deserves alot more credit even tho people pay up and use the cattle The types he created in and around the political SH98987764t in the Angus deal were just outstanding and among MYRIAD other things changed the calving situation in the Maines by eons-Look what he did for Shorthorns-PLUS the useage thereof by many types of cattle people-And all the naysaying Sullivan worshiping yuppy cowboys can talk about is DS -Like it or not-His influence on the cattle industry is just enormous O0

RyanChandler

Master Breeder.  I like him, I like his approach, and I really like his cattle.  That's prolly my favorite American Rancher episode, too.  The principles are exceedingly simple, the difficulty lies in having the self control to implement them.

shortybreeder

-XBAR- said:
Master Breeder.  I like him, I like his approach, and I really like his cattle.  That's prolly my favorite American Rancher episode, too.  The principles are exceedingly simple, the difficulty lies in having the self control to implement them.
*gasp* but did you hear him say he had 1600lb cows?? And feeds alfalfa-grass hay?? Figured you'd have crucified him for those two comments.  (lol)

RyanChandler

shortybreeder said:
-XBAR- said:
*gasp* but did you hear him say he had 1600lb cows?? And feeds alfalfa-grass hay?? Figured you'd have crucified him for those two comments.  (lol)

Fleshing ability, good udders, and low birthweights-- 3 most things Ohlde is known for.  Ironic enough, the 3 weaknesses of your preferred genetics.

I'm talked to Ohlde many times.  Our ideologies are maybe a degree apart whereas yours are nearly opposite end of the spectrum.  The extent of your familiarity is limited to this snippet-- get real..    The average angus cow there is a 4 frame very fat mid 1200lber.  Outside a seedstock operation these cows would be even smaller. 

shortybreeder

-XBAR- said:
shortybreeder said:
-XBAR- said:

Fleshing ability, good udders, and low birthweights-- 3 most things Ohlde is known for.  Ironic enough, the 3 weaknesses of your preferred genetics.

I'm talked to Ohlde many times.  Our ideologies are maybe a degree apart whereas yours are nearly opposite end of the spectrum.  The extent of your familiarity is limited to this snippet-- get real..    The average angus cow there is a 4 frame very fat mid 1200lber.  Outside a seedstock operation these cows would be even smaller.
There you go again using the outlier argument to spare your ego. If that was the outlier of his herd then why would he choose that as the example to mention? And with how linebred the operation is, I find it hard to believe their mature size ranges from 1200-1600.
I guess my 73.89lb average birthweight is too high now? How low would you like it to be?? The bottom was 66 and top was 87 this year when you remove the one outlier bred that I purchased who had an outlier from everything else in her pedigree.

mark tenenbaum

In the bull pens part of the video: a roan Shorthorn went walking up the hill behind some of the Angus- He must still have some Shorthorns that Glover didnt buy-although the clearly black hided direction of the program never got around to the importance of what he and JOHNNY HOOK did in facilitating the initial discoveries and later importations of the Irish cattle etc-And all
40 or so of the other things mentioned by Knabe who was there when alot of the early activity were a  part of the CAL Poly program -Wonder if those younger students could feel that history was being made O0

shortybreeder

mark tenenbaum said:
In the bull pens part of the video: a roan Shorthorn went walking up the hill behind some of the Angus- He must still have some Shorthorns that Glover didnt buy-although the clearly black hided direction of the program never got around to the importance of what he and JOHNNY HOOK did in facilitating the initial discoveries and later importations of the Irish cattle etc-And all
40 or so of the other things mentioned by Knabe who was there when alot of the early activity were a  part of the CAL Poly program -Wonder if those younger students could feel that history was being made O0
Can someone explain what the Cal Poly program was all about?

knabe

Search Cumberland on website for more info on relationship between ohlde and cal poly.

A professor at poly there I think went to kstate who was in shorthorn association prob met ohlde and when he went to poly to teach, ohlde facilitated some cattle to go there I think.

At the time I was in school, the univ had horned Herefords, angus and shorthorns. I think they just have angus now.

Anyway, when poly dumped the shorthorns, ohlde bought 5 females and from those, one of them  either was the dam or grand dam of jakes proud jazz or something like that.

Ohlde sent out 20+ steers every year at the annual poly show steer sale, the students got to fit hundreds of steers over the years.

Many of these steers were different combinations of chi (ildeno) on amerifax cows and other combinations.

People were trying to get high % chi bulls that were homo black

Color was around then, so that was cool.

Cab was getting started and making every breed look angus was in full swing.

Angus came out with the elephant ads then to destroy the exotics.

Very sad to see very few fullbloods of any breed any more.

From this, one of the students started western expo, can’t remember exact name, but run by students.

Had quite a few interesting stories over the years, met lots of friends.

In addition to the judging team, colleges showed steers at large fairs and usually won overall.

Colleges don’t show anymore. Sad.

Good time.

Medium Rare

I still have a couple canes of semen from a roan bull Ohlde raised out of one of the Cal Poly Cumberland cows he bought back. They had bred and flushed that cow to some interesting bulls. Ohlde then chose to make pairings that I'd consider to be much more complementary.

mark tenenbaum

Medium Rare said:
I still have a couple canes of semen from a roan bull Ohlde raised out of one of the Cal Poly Cumberland cows he bought back. They had bred and flushed that cow to some interesting bulls. Ohlde then chose to make pairings that I'd consider to be much more complementary.'''' Proud Jazz came out of one too-One of the most prolific Shorthorn Doners late 80s early 80s was Miss D Cumberland Cal Poly sold her to either Cagwin or Mantua Farms  I thought Ohldes idea about Fleckvees were kinda cool-They are grass fed Oxon looking simms to me-But real thick-wierd leather on their jaws-Strange heads-Jake had a bull out of one of the jazzes and a Shorthorn Fleckvee cow on SEK or Cattle Visions at one time-always wondered what his calves were like

Medium Rare

This bull was out of leader 21 and I believe a cow 2 or 3 generations before JPJ's mother, so I guess it'd be most of the good stuff and none of the cross breeding. Have had a few crossbred AI calves by him over the years that were just ok, but never a heifer. They did grow much better than any of the JPJ stuff I've had.

jake's-proud-leader-243h

mark tenenbaum

Medium Rare said:
This bull was out of leader 21 and I believe a cow 2 or 3 generations before JPJ's mother, so I guess it'd be most of the good stuff and none of the cross breeding. Have had a few crossbred AI calves by him over the years that were just ok, but never a heifer. They did grow much better than any of the JPJ stuff I've had.//// Yea Fischer has him in Kansas they had another Jazz too-real goodlooking bull O0

jake's-proud-leader-243h

knabe

Gargan said:
knabe said:
anyone interested in a pic of the cal poly cumberland heifer?
<rock>

k. I carved a leather picture for the professor of the heifer. he was pretty proud of her.

i carved a picture of a non-angus steer that graded choice, yg1 for the feedlot project professor.  that was kinda cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.