Iowa Beef Expo

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

Is anyone going??? What are  you taking??? Sounds like its gonna be kinda cold

doubled

For sure not fun, isnt it great blowing out ice in the ears of the calves, good luck at the show.

minimoo38

thanks, i'll need it. we are usually stalled farthest away from the washrack, or on the complete opposite side of the barn. we always have icicles by the time we get to the stalls!!!  :p  but, it is great hair growing weather  ;D

doubled

If you do as good as you did last year you will be fine, yeah stalling is a big deal there, I hate and love that show, I wish people would share space a little better, its kinda
dog eat dog with grooming shoots there. The calves are all so awesome casue they have so much hair but the weather there has not been the best the last few years.
I always worry about the calves getting sick all that washing and cold weather. Usually Im the one sick afterwards.

minimoo38

yeah i usually come home sick too. we figured out the best plan. we are going to go down thursday night with everything in the back of the pick-up, so we can just shoot into the barn, and not have to wait in line with a trailer. then we will go back home, save a night of motel expense, and come down early in the morning.

minimoo38

i wish that i could take all of my critters.  :'( my best show heifer slipped on the ice and pinched a nerve between her shoulder blades.  ::)  so she is staying home to recuperate.  (cow)

justme

I'm hoping to go see the Maines and display bulls.  Just depends on my schedule and the weather. 

minimoo38

minimoo38 said:
yeah i usually come home sick too. we figured out the best plan. we are going to go down thursday night with everything in the back of the pick-up, so we can just shoot into the barn, and not have to wait in line with a trailer. then we will go back home, save a night of motel expense, and come down early in the morning.

our plan isn't working out too well so far. my mom, dad & brother went down & i stayed home to do chores. they left @ 2:30, and got into the fairgrounds @3:45. it's been 4 hours now and they are still sitting in line.  the skidloaders and payloaders are still bedding the barn from the breeds. we are stalled where the chi's were at, and since their sale is so late, we have to wait even longer. but not this much. :eek:  anyway, threats were made that if any junior exhibitor was caught setting up in barn, even if your bedding was done, the exhibitor would be banned from showing.  :eek:   ::)

what makes everything worse is that all of the streets in the fairgrounds are now one way due to the construction! my aunt said that it is a clustered mess, and that it is nearly impossible to get around. (oh great.  ::) something else to deal with. :p)

we are leaving @ 3am to go back down with the calves. it's going to be a LONG day!!