iowa govenors steer show

Help Support Steer Planet:

harleyhog

My daughter would like to show at it next year.. has anyone on here had th
at experience and could give us some ideas and of course opinions...th

obie105

I know each county has there different way of being nominated. Its pretty much every county has 1 steer. I know ours is the champion steer gets to go.

rjb

It's show that not anyone can show at your steer needs to be purchased by one of the sponsors. If it is it's more or less your responsibility to take care of it while it's there get it fit and ready for show. Usually the celebrity or spokesman for your sponsor will usually show up about and hour before u go into the ring. It is fun and for a good cause but really lost its luster the last couple yrs

CAB

Politics!! First thing that need to find is a sponsor for your calf. It usually takes being a GC or @ least RGC @ your county fair to have a chance to be considered for the Charity show. That's really the nuts & bolts of it.

harleyhog

I think their are more politics in the cattle business than politics themselves...  thanks for all of the advice...

WhoaFlicka

you have to have a pretty good steer and alot of money behind it to get nominated and not every county champ goes 99 counties in iowa 25 steers in gov show

CAB

harleyhog said:
I think their are more politics in the cattle business than politics themselves...  thanks for all of the advice...

The best thing for you to do for now IMO would be to get a list of the past & present sponsors so that you have an idea of who to approach next year.

iowabeef

This is an incredible event! So fun and a big honor the families involved and MOST IMPORTANTLY raises immense money for the Iowa Ronald McDonald Houses. We have been in it three times, so can speak from experience...2006 was our first time, 2008 we were Grand Champions and this year our steer was chosen to be shown as the Governor's steer.  Simply for logistics they try to keep it around 25 steers so no, not every county gets a steer in. Once one of sponsors (usually big businesses, alumni associations, county coalitions, etc.) picks your steer, they pay you for it...then it becomes the property of the event. After the show there is then an auction where all 25 steers are sold again to businesses and supporters ...usually around $3000 to $15,000...some higher. All the money goes to the Ronald McDonald Houses of Iowa and usually the steers go to Iowa State to be used in their judging program.
The Charity and promotion of the Iowa Beef industry are the main purpose of the event. The show is simply that.....a entertaining show. A great event all around for everyone involved.
And btw.....it is not political to get chosen...we are basically Joe schmoe nobodies...you just need a good calf

harleyhog

Thank you iowabeef.  I have printed out the info...I will keep in contact with you if you don't mind...Can I have your e-mail address so we don't not have to do it so publically....