iowa state fair judges

Help Support Steer Planet:

clonefan

anyone know who doing the steer show this year heard last years judge not invited back

forcheyhawk

There were a few classes where maybe I didn't entirely agree with last year's judge, but I thought he was pretty consistent for the most part.  Where I really disagreed with him was the market heifers.  I'm not surprised he wasn't invited back though.  I think he left some big money hangin in the middle of classes.  Right, wrong, or otherwise that's not going to make the money people happy.  ;D  Have no clue who is judging this year.  I would bet that's by design too.

Nasc

So it’s just a bunch of hot air that the style of market steers is changing?

LONG LIVE THE KING
LONG LIVE HEATWAVE!

olsun

I'm kinda old and stiff, but still able to get up on the soap box. If you believe that show cattle are not in a state of change you are being deceived. I have watched a lot of things change since the 1950's, and I'm sure they changed before that. To say that we are not going to change things up means that we have reached perfection. Do yopu really believe that to be true? I hope we will change to a little larger framed animal that is much sounder than the ones being produced today, but I would guess that it is also possible that they could get smaller and more crippled. I don't know the answer to that, but I do know for sure that they will change. Thank God

advocate

What's it really matter faber will win the steers and probably be reserve too

forcheyhawk

That's with the two cloned calves from the champion two years ago, right?  I thought I had heard they were showing a couple of clones.

advocate

Yes and if u didn't know you would think they were the same calf. Then I'd imagine the other 3 spots will be split between tracy and wade

diesel

yes they will be hard to get around but ther are a hand full that havent been seen since expo so who knows couple that i would like to no wat they do look like right now

Jill

You guys that know who is going to win crack me up, you don't even know who is judging. 
If Iowa is that predictable (and I don't think it is) then why does anyone even bother to show up, we figure an average state fair costs a family around 1000 by the time you figure time off work, travel, hotel, expenses etc that is a lot of money when you already know who is going to take the top 5 slots.  Have you ever stopped to consider there may be steers in coolers somewhere that no one has ever seen, or maybe the judge no one knows doesn't like the same steers that won 2 years ago, too many variable to state who is going to win at this point in my book.

iowabeef

Last year was proof of that and it was a breath of fresh air.....nice to shake things up.

forcheyhawk

Nasc said:
So it’s just a bunch of hot air that the style of market steers is changing?

LONG LIVE THE KING
LONG LIVE HEATWAVE!

Certainly last year I felt the judge changed things up.  Do I think that's a sign of changing times?  I don't have enough information at this time to tell honestly.  I've been to a lot of shows this year and the same "FREAK" steer with a very small frame, lots of power, and not near enough soundness has been doing his fair share of winning.  I ask you this and I've thought a lot about it myself - If change was to happen, where do you think it would start and how would we recognize it?  It's hard to decipher the difference between an anomaly and a trend for me.

diesel

i dont remember the girls name that was res at expo but wer did he go havent seen him since then along with a couple others

iowabeef

Danielle DeLange was reserve at the winter beef expo....not sure what is the story since then....

loveRedcows

As long as judges continue to worry about their next judging job whatever is the current "hot" item will continue to win......give me an honest opinion judge who's not afraid to place 'em as he sees 'em anytime.

clonefan

the delange steer hasnt been shown since. anyone know anything about this judge i dont think ive ever seen him judge. another question is cloned beef okay for consumption, i know at one time is wasnt

Show Steaks

cloned beef is the same as any beef, gentically exaclty the same as a reguar. just think the greatest steak you ever had could be cloned and had over and over again! ::)

Show Heifer

clonefan said:
the delange steer hasnt been shown since. anyone know anything about this judge i dont think ive ever seen him judge. another question is cloned beef okay for consumption, i know at one time is wasnt

Cloned beef is approved for consumption in the US. It is perfectly safe. 
Cloned beef is NOT approved for consumption in Europe... or at least it wasn't a year ago.

Why would you not think, using "science" facts, that cloned beef would NOT be safe to eat?

KCK

clonefan said:
anyone know anything about this judge i don't think I've ever seen him judge.
He judged the Oklahoma Youth Expo a few times in the past few years. You might find some magazines with results from that in them and get a pretty good idea of his type. They say he was pretty consistant from year to year. I don't know anything about that as I am too ADD to pay that much attention!  (thumbsup)

Latest posts