iowa state fair steer show

Help Support Steer Planet:

ingram

Who is in the running for the big one today and give me the results. Who was the judge,who had the top steers that wasn't in the drive.
What was the top steers sired by,how did Russ Harkema do with the calves he sold. Was the markey heifer show as tugh as it was last year. Who was the judge and how did he do.

afhm

Don't know who had them but the crossbred won and the shorthorn plus was reserve.  John Edwards judged.

showman ne

GC-Nolan Ferguson (Div 2 cross)
RC-Josh Becker (Shorty +)
3rd- Blake Hoefling (Maine)
4th-Cody Hughes (Div 1 cross)
5th-?????????????(Div 1 reserve)

Reinken Cattle Co.

I didn't make it over to the show we were to busy talking with some breeders about lowline calves.. herd there was some pretty bad commotion with a calf getting loose...

afhm

Heard that too.  When the grand was selected the cheers from the crowd spooked the shorthorn who ran right through the area where the vip's were seated watching the show is what I was told happened.

Dusty

Yeah I think someone did get hurt as the ambulance was outside the arena.

As far as the show goes I think he totally fumbled it.  I really didn't care for the champion or reserve.  The best calf in the top 5 was the 5th place steer.  There were way too many good calves in Division 2 that should have been in the top 5.  Kohlhaus, Russell, yellow faber steer.  I was kind of dissapointed.

Chap

Although i was a little confused on some classes.  I thought Edwards was relatively consistent all day.  He is not Jerry Douglas and likes his steers a little different.  You heard him use terms like leanness, cutability, extension, stretch, etc.  the last 2 years were terms like stout, chubby, chunky, stout, truck, etc.  I don't know who is right, but good cattle were in the top 5.  I personnally like the Ferguson steer extremely well.  a notch bigger and prettier than previous couple years, but he was a cool bugger and plenty stout.  The reserve steer was a bit of a shocker to most people in the arena, but Edwards was really impressed with him in division and he was a pretty fault free deal, I believe he was champion + steer at junior nationals ( so definately no slouch). 
Edwards did not get wound up on hair and bone and that certainly discounted some of the barn favorites.  Class 4 of Division 2 was a Barn Burner, with the yellow Faber steer that was many peoples favorite going 6th in class. Names like Russell, Kohlhaas, Lundquist etc made it an incredibly tough class to begin with. 
The market heifer show was still very stout, but not as deep as the last couple of years.  The Wasson heifer was a beast! 
I would venture to guess that the big dogs will be hunting a slightly different type for next years show.  all of course IMHO.
Chap

CAB

I thought like Chap that there was evidence of a change in type away from the extremely wide smaller chunks and a movement towards looking @ structure, sacrificing bone and width for function. The Ferguson steer and Core's steer to me were similar in that respect. Ferguson's steer was raised by Darning's. I haven't heard was he was sired by yet, but will and will post it when I find out. Keaton Liturgist's steer was 5th overall & was a Sunseeker X Double Stuff. The Becker SH+ steer was a Hairy Bear X Double Stuff or Double Vision. In the tough class that everyone is eluding to McDermott's steer stood 8th out of 10 and he has been in the top 5 many many times this season to give you an idea of how tough that particular class was.
  Anyone looking for a tremendous heifer prospect for next year, there is a fulsib to Mandy Kolhaus's steer that I personally think is better than the steer was last year @ this time. Dave Skahill from Villisca,Iowa raised him & her. They are both Sunseeker X Strictly Business. Dave's PH # is 712-826-8338. Dave also has a couple other very good prospects IMO. Brent

Dusty

Chap said:
Although i was a little confused on some classes.  I thought Edwards was relatively consistent all day.  He is not Jerry Douglas and likes his steers a little different.  You heard him use terms like leanness, cutability, extension, stretch, etc.  the last 2 years were terms like stout, chubby, chunky, stout, truck, etc.  I don't know who is right, but good cattle were in the top 5.  I personnally like the Ferguson steer extremely well.  a notch bigger and prettier than previous couple years, but he was a cool bugger and plenty stout.  The reserve steer was a bit of a shocker to most people in the arena, but Edwards was really impressed with him in division and he was a pretty fault free deal, I believe he was champion + steer at junior nationals ( so definately no slouch). 
Edwards did not get wound up on hair and bone and that certainly discounted some of the barn favorites.  Class 4 of Division 2 was a Barn Burner, with the yellow Faber steer that was many peoples favorite going 6th in class. Names like Russell, Kohlhaas, Lundquist etc made it an incredibly tough class to begin with. 
The market heifer show was still very stout, but not as deep as the last couple of years.  The Wasson heifer was a beast! 
I would venture to guess that the big dogs will be hunting a slightly different type for next years show.  all of course IMHO.
Chap

What I didn't like about the champion steer was that we he walked his back feet damn near hit each other.  We pass up on county fair steers that walk like that.  Other than that he was a good steer, i just thought there were a lot better ones.

i agree on the market heifers.  There were several that were absolutle powerhouses.

CAB

Anyone know how the heifer that stood 2nd in class behind the GC market heifer was bred? I liked the looks of her & actually thought she would have fit in well as RGC. Little tough to handle may have hurt her.

oakbar

You guys are right---Class 4, Div. II crossbred was loaded.  I thought the Russell calf that won this class should have been division champ and Champion overall--instead the judge used the Ferguson steer as Division Champ and the Curoe steer as Reserve and sent the Russell calf back to the barn.  I had Ferguson's steer second and the Lundquist steer and  Jones' Char X steer as my 3 and 4.  I really didn't think the Shorhorn Plus had enough lower quarter, etc to be used in the top five but I guess they didn't pay me for my opinion.    I did like the fact that he seemed to like steers with just a touch more frame than the last couple of years. JMHO

SmokesRule

How was Fabers yellow steer bred and where did he come from? How did Kohlhaas's steer look? loved him as a baby at rubys.

VJ

Kohlhauss' reserve grand market heifer I thought was hands down the best calf on the fairgrounds yesterday. She was everything you ever wanted in an unbelievably sound package. The orange Faber steer was maybe the prettiest but didn't look like he had enough ass underneath all that hair. The Charalois was really nice but didn't get much of a look from the judge in the final drive. The Russell steer deserved more attention. He was really good but never had much of a chance with this judge. I didn't agree with everything he picked but he was pretty consistent and had a good sense of humor.

jbh

Here's some of my thoughts.....and hopefully I can keep from stepping on anyones toes....certainly NOT meaning to!

As was posted earlier.......I nearly fell out of the bleachers the first time I heard the judge mention CUTABILITY!  I've been preaching this for the last 3 years......that lower third of the animal that we call CHUBBY, the packer calls WASTE!  Don't get me wrong, I like them easy doing, but we've taken it just a little TOO FAR.  Yes, his steers he used were a little stretchier than the previous year with Douglas, but they were ALL NICE.  Some maybe wasn't the most professionally presented steers in the show, but they were good fundamental cattle.  I'm guessing Mr. Edwards was once bitten.....twice shy....on some of the apparent crowd favorites from the stands, from past judging experiances.  Not meaning ANY disrespect to those exhibitors, because I feel also, they must look their best when they hit the ring 10 out of 10 times.  This time however, really good fitting was as good as perfect fitting.

Another thing I appreciated was that he talked soundness, and wanted the perfect moving animal, BUT, would not crucify a really nice steer if he was built better than anything in the class and had maybe just a little hickup in his movement. 

He was good with the audience and the kids both......making this a cattle event, not just another steer show......a must when you are on a stage of this magnitude!

And lastly, I believe we ALL need to make as much money in this industry as we can, BUT, our BUBBLE has gotten WAY OFF level the past five years! Breeders need to get paid for all their headaches in raising one, traders need to get paid for all their headaches in selling one, and the exhibitor needs to get paid for all his headaches of putting up with the breeder and the trader and the bull promoter, and  having to do all the work in addition to this. I don't know what the Grand cost and really don't care , but the Reserve Grand sold for $3700 in Joyces pasture sale, the 3rd overall sold for $2500 in the Northwest Iowa sale, the Res. Maine was HOME RAISED, and Division 3,  I heard was purchased for $1200.  THIS WILL HELP OUR INDUSTRY MORE THAN ANYTHING!!!

Chap

jbh said:
Here's some of my thoughts.....and hopefully I can keep from stepping on anyones toes....certainly NOT meaning to!

As was posted earlier.......I nearly fell out of the bleachers the first time I heard the judge mention CUTABILITY!  I've been preaching this for the last 3 years......that lower third of the animal that we call CHUBBY, the packer calls WASTE!  Don't get me wrong, I like them easy doing, but we've taken it just a little TOO FAR.  Yes, his steers he used were a little stretchier than the previous year with Douglas, but they were ALL NICE.  Some maybe wasn't the most professionally presented steers in the show, but they were good fundamental cattle.  I'm guessing Mr. Edwards was once bitten.....twice shy....on some of the apparent crowd favorites from the stands, from past judging experiances.  Not meaning ANY disrespect to those exhibitors, because I feel also, they must look their best when they hit the ring 10 out of 10 times.  This time however, really good fitting was as good as perfect fitting.

Another thing I appreciated was that he talked soundness, and wanted the perfect moving animal, BUT, would not crucify a really nice steer if he was built better than anything in the class and had maybe just a little hickup in his movement. 

He was good with the audience and the kids both......making this a cattle event, not just another steer show......a must when you are on a stage of this magnitude!

And lastly, I believe we ALL need to make as much money in this industry as we can, BUT, our BUBBLE has gotten WAY OFF level the past five years! Breeders need to get paid for all their headaches in raising one, traders need to get paid for all their headaches in selling one, and the exhibitor needs to get paid for all his headaches of putting up with the breeder and the trader and the bull promoter, and  having to do all the work in addition to this. I don't know what the Grand cost and really don't care , but the Reserve Grand sold for $3700 in Joyces pasture sale, the 3rd overall sold for $2500 in the Northwest Iowa sale, the Res. Maine was HOME RAISED, and Division 3,  I heard was purchased for $1200.  THIS WILL HELP OUR INDUSTRY MORE THAN ANYTHING!!!

Well put Brad, Edwards has been around the block and he picked em as he liked em.  I thought the most interesting comment he made all day was about steers grading.  He mentioned that all of these steers have been on feed long enough to grade and he was not concerned about quality grades in this set of cattle, he was more concerned with yield grade and dressing %.  This years State Fair should give lots of kids hope that hard work on a reasonable budget still have a chance.

diesel

jbh i agree with u but looking at the grand and down to the 5th place  steer they went together like a raccoon in a hen house if hes gonna use the fergouson steer which i liked the 5th place didnt come close to fitting the mold grant u though he was one pretty bugger

jbh

diesel said:
jbh i agree with u but looking at the grand and down to the 5th place  steer they went together like a raccoon in a hen house if hes gonna use the fergouson steer which i liked the 5th place didnt come close to fitting the mold grant u though he was one pretty bugger

Fully AGREE with that statement.....BUT.....I think he just purposely let the RACCOON get one of the HENS there!  If I'd have been doing it, that one would have been hard for me NOT to use (from the bleachers).  Wonder what would have happened if they had showed him App. Shorthorn(which he was)????...I'm gonna say the end result is close to the same. 

OH Breeder

jbh said:

This is one of the most powerful statements I have read in a long time. I think steer prices have gotten WAY out of hand. It is a terminal show animal and when I here people saying you want a state fair champion better bring 15-20K makes me sick. GREAT to hear the animals that were at the top were realistically priced. I don't have a problem with people making money at all. Great statement. I am not from Iowa but have enjoyed reading this thread.