Iowa Weather AGAIN

Help Support Steer Planet:

doubled

Please everyone out there be careful, bad, bad weather in Iowa again- already 4 people have died tonight, please all listen to your radios
Flooding everywhere, we have run two sump pumps in one pit all week,

Minnimoo batten down the hatches

minimoo38

put your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ good-bye! it does not look good. those poor scouts.  (angel) winds @ 45. electricity blinking. in the basement. preparing for hell. bye for now. damage report in the morning.

jam- thanks for checking.  ;D

Show Heifer

I'm going to step into this ...I AM SO PROUD TO BE FROM IOWA....
Of all the tornados, storms and flooding this state has seen over the past 2 months (geesh, it seems like FOREVER) :

I have not seen one cardboard sign hollaring for government help. I have not seen one person carrying a big screen TV from the flooded stores. I have not seen any violence toward other victims. I have not heard one person crying because they did not help themselves. I have not heard one person cussing the government for not "being there". I have not heard one person worried that the postal system "won't find them"...I have not heard whining, and complaining.

In fact, I have seen folks standing side by side filling sandbags. Standing side by side picking up the remains of their neighborhood. I have seen folks that own boats helping others to move to higher ground. I have seen long lines of people wanting to volunteer to protect their town. I have seen entire towns/communities going to the funerals of those that were not so lucky.  I have heard people that have lost everything be thankful that they and their loved ones are safe. I have seen people move their belongings and take cover because of the upcoming storm, and therefore, saved the most valuable possessions.  I have seen people loan cell phones to make calls to family to let them know they are ok. I have seen barns, and communities rebuilt in a matter of weeks.

Yes, I admit, I am proud to be from Iowa.

oakbar

One of my daughter's best friends at Iowa State was killed by lightning this morning while helping his father on their farm.  My heart goes out to their family.  Its so hard to understand how the "Grand Plan"  works when it takes such a young, talented man so early in his life.  He was an engineering student at ISU, an excellent musician, and most importantly a good friend and study partner with Allix and her friends.  Allix had the best take on it though when she heard that a tornado had killed four at a Boy Scout camp in western Iowa.  She said, " Galen was such a great counselor for kids that God must have felt they needed a guide so there was nobody better than him to bring them home!!"  She'll really miss him though, they were to have been the two lead counselors at the 4-H Conference in Ames later this month.

By the way, I agree with Show Heifer--I am proud to be an Iowan!!

RSC

A very said situation.  One of the 4 little boys from the Boyscout camp trajedy is from my Wife's home town in Nebraska.

Article below about the storm.

June 12, 2008 03:02pm
Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email

Four killed as tornado hits scout camp in US
Buildings and campsites have been destroyed
Residents flee homes as floodwaters rise

FOUR people have been killed and 40 hurt by a tornado that hit a Boy Scouts camp in the US today.

The tornado has destroyed buildings and ripped up the scouts' tents at the Little Sioux ranch in western Iowa.

See a picture of the damage at FoxNews.com.

The scouts, aged between 13 and 18, were attending a leadership camp.

CNN reported 93 scouts were believed to be at the camp when the tornado struck at 7.35pm local time (10.35am AEST).

"All of the buildings are gone; most of the tents are gone; most of the trees are destroyed," it quoted a scouts official as saying. "You've got 1800 acres of property that are destroyed right now."

Sheri Bauwens, a nurse with the American Red Cross, said many of the injuries happened when a brick fireplace in a cabin was ripped apart by the storm. The cabin was one of four where scouts had run for cover.

Injured campers were taken to five area hospitals as parents of campers gathered in a nearby church awaiting news and search and rescue teams continued to sift through debris at the camp.

A hospital spokesman told CNN that two children had been flown there by helicopter suffering "traumatic injuries".

Iowa officials said the state National Guard had been mobilised to assist in search and rescue operations, work that was complicated by the heavily treed area where the camp was located and continued lightning strikes and heavy rain.

The tornado was one of more than 30 reported to be moving across eastern Kansas into Nebraska, Iowa and into Minnesota.

The tornadoes were accompanied by baseball-sized hail and vicious winds, and came in addition to rampant flooding that has forced hundreds from their homes in Iowa.

Storms

Tens of thousands of people were without power in Michigan, Wisconsin, Indiana and Illinois since violent weekend storms dumped rain and spawned tornadoes.

In the Iowan capital Des Moines, some residents are fleeing their homes as floodwaters keep rising after heavy rains, but others are choosing to stay and fight.

"I'm not going to leave my place unless the water runs me clear out," one resident said.

Water has burst from storm sewers and flooded restaurants and a government building in the business district.  Water released from a reservoir is expected to swell the Des Moines River that bisects the city.

Northeast of Des Moines, the Cedar River swamped parts of Waterloo and Waverly, and prompted an all-night vigil in the city of Cedar Falls where sandbagging continued in earnest.

Many people staying in motels had seen their homes destroyed in a deadly May 25 tornado that levelled nearby districts.

Authorities went door-to-door in downtown Cedar Rapids, downstream on the Cedar River, to tell people to leave. The small towns of Palo and Chelsea were evacuated.

Dams across the Midwest were being monitored.

RSC

Attachments

• Camp Tornado.jpg
    Camp Tornado.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 547

doubled

So true us Iowans are a great group of people, our hearts are huge,, I totally agree

Oakbar Im so sorry about your daughters friend, may God be with her and her friends family, so sad

oakbar

The young man who was killed by lightning yesterday was Galen Smith from near West Bend, IA.  Allix went to her morning classes and then she's driving the 100 or so miles over to be with Galen's family.  Sad, sad situation!!

Our basement got wet again last night.  There's so much water in the ground that its pushing it in through cracks I didn't even know were there.  I was up at 2 a.m. and you could actually see it bubbling up through the basement floor.  We live on a small hill and we've never had water in our basement  before.  I guess we'll count ourselves lucky compared to the five families in Iowa who lost their sons yesterday and the thousands that are being evacuated from homes that they know will be  severely damaged or perhaps even gone when they return. 

All across Iowa new rainfall and tornado records are being set.  They're fighting right now to save the Police dept. building in Cedar Rapids and rail cars that were put on bridges to help hold them in place have been washed away.  All that water they are getting right now will be replaced with the 3 inches we got overnight.  The ponds in our fields are bigger today than they were on Sunday and that was considered an all time record for this area.    The Cedar River in Charles City topped their old record for depth by 5 feet and it could go higher today. They're not even sure what the actual depth was on the Cedar because the measuring point was so far under water they couldn't get a reading. Mason City businesses and residents have been without water since Sunday morning and it will probably be a couple of days yet with this new rainfall.  The Winnebago crested over 3 feet higher than the old record set 60-70 years ago.   

Keep all those affected in your prayers!!

minimoo38

we made it through ok. just some water leakage around the fireplace. all of the new growth on our pine tree grove was ripped off by the hail, but it does smell nice! we had lots of wind, 60-65 mph, 2.6" of white-out sheets of rain, and pea-sized hail that came down in buckets. but the really scary thing was that the temperature dropped 20 degrees almost instantly when the rain started. it was COLD!!

we've had lots of luck so far. my dad went to check on one of our pastures 2 days ago. the Raccoon River goes in/out of it 7 times, but the fence is ok. it was full at the banks, but i imagine that it is much worse now. he was chasing after a stick on the 4 wheeler and could hardly keep up @ 25 mph, whereas it's usually about 5 mph.

Attachments

• hail.JPG
    hail.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 325

common sense

It is gut wrenching to hear about the boy scout camp and the kids who lost their lives.  I can't imagine being a parent that was so far from their child and not knowing if they were o.k.  My heart pours out to everyone who is in the middle of all of this weather.  Our town somehow avoided the major flood that we had earlier this week.  There were tornadoes reported all around us. Hopefully now everyone can pull things back together and get back on their feet.  Best wishes to all.

HVNR

I can't even imagine what some are going through in IA. We are all praying for those affected. The picture below was on Yahoo this morning.

Text with Picture

Charlie Lough herded his cattle onto the porch of his farm house, before he fled to safety from the rising water of the Cedar River, Wednesday June 11, 2008 north of Vinton, Iowa. Flood waters have inundated the electric plant in Vinton and the entire city is now without power. Officials are preparing for the Cedar River to crest at record levels all across the state.
(AP Photo/Steve Pope)

Attachments

• Charlie_Lough_Vinton_IA.jpg
    Charlie_Lough_Vinton_IA.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 275

doubled

minimoo38 said:
deb- have you sold your "lakeside property" yet??  ;D   how are you guys doing? i had heard that waterloo was evacuated, and it was getting bad around there.

There is a car stalled on a road next to ours all I could see this morning was the antenna and the very tip of his roof- we are running two sump pumps continusouly in the pit
still not going down - I had to drive 54 miles yesterday I normally drive 5 miles. sucks

Telos

I live in Dallas, and for the last couple of weeks we have had thick cloud cover with high winds racing from the southwest towards the northeast. This morning was the same, but as of 4 pm has subsided. This is a tragedy and will be praying for all those people affected. Please let me know how I can help.