Irish Wiskey X Meyer Heifer (Opinions Please)

Help Support Steer Planet:

crown33

yes she is pry just out of a herd bull. at most she has 25% whiskey in her and who knows how much meyer she might have in her, its hard to say

crown33

yes she does have some whiskey in her but that doesn't correlate to being a good heifer. there are more factors that go into the equation than just having some whiskey in her. the best whiskey females out there are whiskey x angus cows

crown33

no one knows how she is going to end up. a lot of it depends on how u feed her and how much u work with her

Mainevent

He's not saying that, he's just saying that just because there is whiskey in her doesn't mean she automatically will raise a calf like a whiskey heifer. She is a nice heifer don't get him wrong.

Carlson Cattle

Thank You. That makes me feel better.  I am looking for big things from this heifer. If shes going to be crappy all my dreams are crushed.

grandchamp58

very nice heifer. I think she looks like she would really make a nice heifer with I-80, but i would probably breed her to an angus the first time. You never wanna risk her ruining her future producing career because you want her first calf to come out perfect. Goodluck!

PWolfe

Carlson Cattle said:
Thank You. Any other Bulls you would suggest?

Congratulations on obtaining a genetic powerhouse ... Now the fun part begins. In our operation, we have had success with implementing older Maine-Anjou genetics combined with some of the more recent Maine genetics. For calving ease without sacrificing style and substance, Maine Break has been a reliable source of marketable calves. If more recent genetics seem more practical, Mercedes Benz or Shiver would be reasonable choices. Future bull choices that make sense to use would be FR Magic 179X and Hard Drive.

Best of luck to you with your future breeding endeavors; in theory, she is one that will possibly give you maternal substance and terminal profitability ...

AAOK

blackdiamond said:
knabe said:
agree on the magic.  good luck finding any.

what is this magic bull that so many on here promote, yet else where I've never heard of him.

Many of us who go back a few decades in Maine-Anjou genetics place FR Magic 179X as the best of the breed all time in Maternal production.  Tom Johnson, Tishomingo, OK would be the first place to check for semen.

PWolfe

knabe said:
agree on the magic.  good luck finding any.

We are quite fortunate to have 10 units of FR Magic 179X semen in our tank; we, too, have embryos from a past donor cow, MCG Krystal, a Goldstream 5T daughter, and FR Magic. I am planning on putting in some of those eggs for 2014 calves. Of course, I am hoping for females.

blackdiamond

speaking of older black maine bulls- what options would be available for a hetero black purebred, or high percentage maine bull that will downsize frame, add body, and thickness.

PWolfe

blackdiamond said:
speaking of older black maine bulls- what options would be available for a hetero black purebred, or high percentage maine bull that will downsize frame, add body, and thickness.

Some older black high percentage Maine-Anjou bulls that, in my opinion only, will downsize frame, add body, and thickness are Wonder, a DJ Reflector x Powerplant son, Taz, and Maine Break. Again, these are older Maine-Anjou genetics that worked well for our operation, and I believe still have a place in today's industry.

Another bull that worked well for us and fits your description is DVMM Jazz. We have a nicely designed Jazz x Angus cow that has produced very well throughout her career.