Is ace of diamonds safe on heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

osfcattle

NOOOO!!!!! we bred two first calf shorthorn heifers to him and the first one was born backwards and weighed 95# we broke her leg pulling her but the vet put a cast on it and now she's fine but the second one was out of a smaller framed heifer and weighed 93# and we pulledd her too and pinched nerves in her momma'sback leg and tail. So 3rd calf cows or really really big cows

showsteerdlux

The few I have personally calved out weighed in the high 90's up into the 105 range. I wouldn't worry on anything past a heifer but for that 1dt calf how about MAV Bellringer?

RyanChandler

MAV Bellringer is said to be heifer safe.  The best idea when looking for these type of answers is to log onto the Associations website- type in the animals reg number- and search "progeny" -  If the breeders that have used the bull have accurately reported the progeny birthweight, which I guess we have to assume they have, then this should give you a good idea of their range of bws.  If its a widely used bull, you should be able to even find a mating that is similar to yours as far as pedigree goes and that would give you a better idea.

K

kciD

-XBAR- said:
MAV Bellringer is said to be heifer safe.  The best idea when looking for these type of answers is to log onto the Associations website- type in the animals reg number- and search "progeny" -  If the breeders that have used the bull have accurately reported the progeny birthweight, which I guess we have to assume they have, then this should give you a good idea of their range of bws.  If its a widely used bull, you should be able to even find a mating that is similar to yours as far as pedigree goes and that would give you a better idea.

I like to get on and compare BW of the breeder/ owners-- with everyone else's...  One bull in particular that I had thought of using was siring 70-80 lb calves for his owner-- while was siring 90-100 lb calves for others.  I'm not calling anyone a liar- but it sure seems that on anyone else's cows-- he's not working.

NHR

And remember the dam and the environment play a big role in birth weights also!!!