is BR midland worth it

Help Support Steer Planet:

clubcalve

I was just wondering if it was worth spending 50$ or not .i did get one good heifer out of five calves

Show Dad

Is any semen worth what you pay for it? Or at what price does it become not worth it?

The better question is where are you going with your herd? It sounds like you already have experience with this bull so what where going for? Did you get it?

Remember, goals are only dreams with out a plan.

<alien>

Cattledog

I think that Midland is an extremely useful bull.  I think his legacy is going to be his daughters.  They are soggy females with eye apeal that also have great udders.  I have one midland first calf heifer that has an awesome heifer calf on her side.

Cowgurl101

We have some midland daughters and i cant say enough good about them. They are moderate framed, thick , nicely balanced cows with great udders. They breed back very well, and stay in good flesh. We have also raised some great bull calves out of him - they never come heavy and always grow like crazy. They always top our calf crop every year.  Even our bottom cows produce well with midland. Id say his semen is very worth the money,though i have heard differently from others.

Turkey Creek Ranch

I really like Midland. If you are looking for GREAT females, out of first calf heifers, look at Morgan's Direction. We have some of our best cows and heifers out of him, In Focus, and Rito 6I6 and 1I2. We AI our heifers every year, and those 4 sires have given us some amazing calves.

GRsimm

I have seen some really nice Foundation Simmy's that are Midland daughters. Good milkers easy doing. Like they said earlier it all depends on what direction your trying to go in the industry with the high costs of production we need easy fleshing effiecient momma cows and the midland daughters can do that. Also that is one thing I noticed about Midland is that his semen went up to $50 and has never came back down so I guess people are still using him enough and paying for it so they did not have to drop it to get people using it.

farmboy

when semen prices come into play, think about the end result, a functional calf, i dont care to pay 100 dollars a straw if i get a good calf out of it, it should pay for its self  <cowboy>

Turkey Creek Ranch

Exactly, when you think about it, it pays off. Because even if its a feeder, you get money back lol. If you have a smaller herd, you could possibly look at ALL AI, just calculate the price of a bull, compared to how much money you would put into semen each you. Thats something to think about  :-\

Show Heifer

I find him unpredictable.  I think for the $50, you can find equalivant angus bulls out there for $25-30.
But...keep in mind, I had no luck with 878 or Kruggerand either!!!

garett

Show Heifer said:

Really? You didnt have luck with 878? We bred our heifers to him and got several nice calves. Used him again this year.

simtal

You know, when midland sold for 202,000 I thought good luck getting your money back.  In reality, I'm sure he's returned more than that.

$50 per straw x 5000 straws sold (??? guess)= $250,000

Cattledog

Show Heifer said:

What kind of cows did you use these bulls on?  Same with Midland?  With 878 and Midland you probably need a little stouter cow to really use these bulls to all of there potential but, sometimes bulls just don't mesh for some reason or another. 

Show Heifer

A lot of my cows are Neutron 377....and old style limi and gelv cows. Frame around 6 weight around 1500.

878 was too fine boned and light muscled for me. Not impressed with their leg structure.
Kruggerand was just sloppy, unsound.
Midland (although only had 3 of them) were to blob-ish (is that a word?). Big headed, funny hip structure.

I'm not knocking the bulls....have seen nice calves out of 878, Kruggerand, and Midland, they just didn't click with my cows.

I do have luck with Freedom, T510, Stockman and Fullback.  Just my cows I guess!

Cattledog

Show Heifer said:
A lot of my cows are Neutron 377....and old style limi and gelv cows. Frame around 6 weight around 1500.

878 was too fine boned and light muscled for me. Not impressed with their leg structure.
Kruggerand was just sloppy, unsound.
Midland (although only had 3 of them) were to blob-ish (is that a word?). Big headed, funny hip structure.

I'm not knocking the bulls....have seen nice calves out of 878, Kruggerand, and Midland, they just didn't click with my cows.

I do have luck with Freedom, T510, Stockman and Fullback.  Just my cows I guess!

Yep, those have worked well for me in the past as well.  All except T510...because I haven't used him.  Have heard nothing but positive about that bull though from all that I know that sampled him.  BTW, I can see the "blobbish" comment about the Midlands since they are so big middled.  I think that is what makes them such efficient cows.  I guess I haven't heard too many people say that Midlands need more guts!