Is it possible?

Help Support Steer Planet:

LN

Cowboy said:
LN said:
That's because in humans, each twin has it's own blood flow in the uterus so male hormones don't mix with the female.

LN -- HUH?? -- what's the difference there partner? Sure humans are not EXACTLY the same as Bovines, however both are designed to have a single pregnancy -- they are not like cats. A human and a bovine have a physiology that is reportedly 96% the same, hormonaly speaking at the very least. Even the gestation is very close. What am I missing -- in both species EACH twin woulld have attached to it's own Cotiledon -- making it's own blood flow, however -- a same side twin will almost always have a common placenta -- thus causing the problem we are talking about! Explain your theory please.

Dakota Cow -- thanks for the hormonal description, a long forgotten or at least misplaced item after 34 years from graduation. I have whole heartedly only tried to retain what I actually use on a daily basis --  brain cells are a valuable commodity!!!

Terry

Humans have a simplex uterus and cattle have bipartite. Twins share blood vessels via chorions and that's how the hormones get mixed up.

So why doesn't the freemartin condition exist in humans, because the hormones aren't mixed through the placenta in utero.

ROMAX

just to give an update,the heifer is still alive ,finally started to suck the bottle today,still has not got up on its own(iprop it up on a straw bale everyday to feed it )she has her good days and her bad days,sometimes i feel like i may just be prolonging her death but ya gotta try.

ROMAX

Heifer got up on her own today still a little shaky,sucking the bottle good,and mama is even interested in the calf so we may try to put her back on her and let her raise the two,lot easier than bottle feeding everyday.Still not out of the woods yet.

ROMAX

Another update on this cow,she calved june 23 another set of twins,abull and heifer again.These calves are out of our purebred black maine bull.We bought her at a "DISPERSAL" but the guy still has lots of cows,we think this is the reason she was sold as she probably has twins every year.Even though the cow had these with no problems and is taking both of them she has also bought her ticket to burger town,so if anyone wants a good cow that will probably have twins every year get a hold of me.