Is it ringworm?

Help Support Steer Planet:

flyintale

I noticed one of my heifers has hard, scaly teats and udder area while feeding earlier.  When I got to looking a little closer I noticed there were little pus pockets.  What is it?  I am thinking ringworm, but I am not 100% sure.  Anybody had this issue before?

CoatsClubcalves

O'Brien Show Cattle said:
I noticed one of my heifers has hard, scaly teats and udder area while feeding earlier.  When I got to looking a little closer I noticed there were little pus pockets.  What is it?  I am thinking ringworm, but I am not 100% sure.  Anybody had this issue before?
We've had bloody crusty teats on a heifer before from biting flies.

flyintale

I'm not really good at pics and getting them uploaded, otherwise, I would.  I can never seem to get them the right size.

The flies have been horrible lately!! I bet you're right; I bet that's what it is.  The flies weren't really that bad while it was scorching hot.  It has cooled off here a little within the past few weeks, and the flies and bugs have just been awful!  Did you do anything to treat your heifers' teats?  I fly sprayed heavily this morning, but I know with the rain we got it probably didn't do much good.  I feel like maybe some iodine solution or bag balm would help. What do you think?

Boot Jack Bulls

We use a product called frost shield. It is blue goop that comes in a big tub. It works great to heal the scabs and deter the flies as it has aloe and menthol in it, in addition to the lanolin. We started using it a few winters ago on our bulls. Despite being well bedded, the overnight temp it usually in the negatives (without windchill), so a bull can end up with frozen testicles very quickly. The frost shield keeps them clean and as the name implies, wards off frost bite. Putting it on the testicles of 1 1/2 dozen bull every couple of days, however, is not so fun! We've used this product a lot this summer on the lighter skinned animals and it has worked great. I would think that just about any lanolin based product would work if what you have is indeed just flies bites.

flyintale

Boot Jack Bulls said:
We use a product called frost shield. It is blue goop that comes in a big tub. It works great to heal the scabs and deter the flies as it has aloe and menthol in it, in addition to the lanolin. We started using it a few winters ago on our bulls. Despite being well bedded, the overnight temp it usually in the negatives (without windchill), so a bull can end up with frozen testicles very quickly. The frost shield keeps them clean and as the name implies, wards off frost bite. Putting it on the testicles of 1 1/2 dozen bull every couple of days, however, is not so fun! We've used this product a lot this summer on the lighter skinned animals and it has worked great. I would think that just about any lanolin based product would work if what you have is indeed just flies bites.

Oh, I love that stuff! We used to use that on our dairy cows!

Boot Jack Bulls

Works great! We have had a wet summer here in NW Wisconsin, so the flies have been biting here too and we are using it on the horses, cattle, goats and even sometimes the cattle dogs!