Is not showing your own animal cheating?

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

DLD said:
garybob said:
The only people that are against non-owner kids showing heifers are, usually the bullying-type cocky, arrogant rich kids who don't like competition at the shows.
Especially when they get beat by a "nobody", whose parents aren't cattlemen or in big with the "right" group of people.

Not hardly... Believe it or not there are kids out there who work to pay for and feed a show calf, and they've got every reason to be unhappy to get beat by, or have to share their premiums with a borrowed one. The truth here is that for every kid showing a borrowed calf that's doing it right (caring for it themselves) and wouldn't be able to do it any other way there's another kid showing a borrowed calf that is doing so because the adult owner(s) of the calf want it to be shown, but want to retain ownership of it. And in most of those cases, that kid could go buy and feed one themselves - their families are the relatives, friends and business associates of said adults that just want their calves shown.
I have all my animals shown by family. WHen we go to open show, it is the farms name. The kids work and at the end of the year have to settle up with me and learn about budgets feeding etc. IF the animals doesn't get fed then it is their responsiblitliy. I see no problem with kids showing borrowed animals as long as at the end there is a lesson learned. Most of the children that show for me CAN"T afford to go buy one themselves. Not at todays prices and be competative.

cwfmr181

IN OUR AREA WE HAVE 3 DIFFERENT FAMILIES THAT SHOW AT ALL OF THE LOCAL FAIRS SHOWING 3 OR MORE DIFFERENT BREEDS. THEY SHOW THE CATTLE IN BOTH THE OPEN AND JUNIOR SHOWS. THEN WHEN YOU GET TO THE STATE FAIR YOU SEE THESE SAME CATTLE AT THE STALLS OF THE LARGER BREEDERS AND BEING SHOWN AS THE PROPERTY OF THE LARGER BREEDERS. THEN TO TOP IT ALL OFF YOU SEE THAT ONE OF THESE KIDS HAS WON THE POINT CHAMPIONSHIP FOR CATTLE THAT THEY HAVNT OWNED.  ALL THAT THEY HAVE DONE IS TO PLAY A GAME DOING REGISTRATION TRANSFERS TO MAKE IT LEGAL. MAKES IT HARD TO CONVINCE THE KIDS THAT THEY WONT GET AHEAD BY CHEATING.