Is she deep enough?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jphelps

Just wondered if you all thought she was deep enough. She is a Dirty Hairy 2 out of a Total Solution cow. Thanks

Attachments

• Jewels Calf.png
    Jewels Calf.png
    591.2 KB · Views: 323

savaged

As was said no, not yet.  But her belly line is pretty even (she does not cut up to a significant degree in her flank) which to me is a good sign.  Proper feeding/management - and hopefully lots of good hair - should produce a nice result.

jphelps

I guess I should of put that in the first post, deep enough to manage with proper feeding! I know shes not deep enough now.

CAB

JMO but with how she is pinched in behind her shoulders, I don't think she'll ever be able to get deep enough or have enough spring to her rib cage. Again JMO.

vc

I know with the Ali's they sometimes do not look like much until their 9 months to a year and then they really come on (I not know if Dirty Hairy 2 breeds the same). If you have the time and the feed, I would work with her for a while and see what happens.

I know that by 13 months the Ali I had had made a complete transformation.

jphelps

what type of feeding would you recommend to add depth to her? Just feeding beet pulp or simular type products or its there sonethibg more I could do

C

cedarcurve

vc said:
I know with the Ali's they sometimes do not look like much until their 9 months to a year and then they really come on (I not know if Dirty Hairy 2 breeds the same). If you have the time and the feed, I would work with her for a while and see what happens.

I know that by 13 months the Ali I had had made a complete transformation.

We have a double bred Ali bull here, that we've been using on heifers.. bought him for that purpose, didn't look to bad as a calf...  look horrible now, was about ready to ship him--- until the calves started coming-- and wow!  Thinking of collecting him now, just to have.

vc

I think some grain and beetpulp and all the hay she wants would help her, if your plan is to breed her just don't get her to fat.